[background: new york life]

You weren't used to living in the loud hustle and bustle of the city but that changed after your parents' divorce. Your dad insisted that you go with your mom, he thought that would be best for your future. He thought she could give you the life of your dreams.

You distinctly remember him saying, "I love you so much, (F/N)-chan but your Mom can give you a better future. I promise I'll talk to you, everyday. Please don't forget that you have a home here, too."

You remember the tears falling down his face, the suffocating feeling in your chest, the tiny voice in your head screaming for you to stay. But you couldn't, this was what he wanted.

So you went with your mom to New York City, and it sure was a big change. The tall skyscrapers were so different to the quiet streets of Miyagi. Sure, there were busy streets back home, but it wasn't like this.

It took a while to get used to your mom's penthouse apartment, especially since she was at work more often than not

It took a while to get used to your mom's penthouse apartment, especially since she was at work more often than not. It was always lonely. You used your spare time to go to open gyms and train, and you joined a few volleyball teams - the first team you joined had players that were the same age as you, but ability-wise you were decades older than them.

Your coach even had to take you out of the starting line up because your serves, spikes, blocks, and receives made it virtually impossible for the opposing team to win. Usually this would be great but your coach felt that it was unfair, the other children were playing against a kid who's as good as a high schooler, maybe even better. You were on a whole 'nother level despite being 12 years old.

During a practice match against another team, your coach invited another coach, who taught a really strong high school team. She saw how amazing you were, a 4'5" monster at the age of twelve. She didn't care how old you were, she invited you to play with her team.

After that match, you made your way to the gym to do some tumbling. While you stretched, you called your dad to tell him the great news. You, a twelve year old, were offered a spot in a powerhouse high school team. He was beyond happy, he was so proud of you,

"I wish I could reach through the screen and hug you, (F/N)-chan. I'm so proud of you!" he was crying, his happiness made you even more happy.

"Thank you, dad, I love you so much. I'll call you again tomorrow." you say, silently agreeing with him, you wanted to hug him, too.

"I'll see you tomorrow, my Chibi-chan. Tell your mom I said 'hi'." He says as I wave goodbye and end the call.

[Your POV - First Person]
Four years later, my gymnastics skills have gotten better since mom used some money to hire me a personal coach. My volleyball skills have improved immensely as well, I even managed to play matches with college teams as their setter. Over the years, I perfected my skills. Now, at 16, I can play with college students and look like I belong... skill wise. My height was another story. It's like my teammates were skyscrapers and I was a one-level McDonald's building. Mm, I love McDonald's.