[2] Introductions

"Did you hear? Apparently there's a new second year."
"What? How do you even get in as a second year?"
"She must have connections or something."
"I heard she's super hot too."
"Really? I gotta go to the second year floor then!"

"You gossip queens never shut up," Shirabu said, eyeing his three teammates Semi, Yamagata and Tendou.

"Shut up, Shirabu!" replied Semi and Yamagata in unison.

You could feel your heart racing as you watched the gymnasium, contemplating on whether or not to go inside. The familiar squeaks of shoes and the pounding of volleyballs already made you weak. This was the scenery you had been avoiding for months and yet, here you were.

You kept thinking over Washijo sensei's words, lost in thought, until a deep voice interrupted you from behind.

"What are you doing?"

You turned back and suddenly you felt blood rushing towards your cheeks. Your eyes met olive colored ones in a piercing gaze. The boy before you was tall, almost reaching 190cm and he had a strong build, much larger than a typical high schooler. His expression was calm and stoic and the way he looked at you made you feel a certain way. Damn he's hot, you thought.

"You're blocking my way," he simple stated in that deep voice that melted your insides.

You immediately reacted, "S-sorry!" before staggering behind to clear his path.

He walked in, almost completely unaffected by your presence. As you tried catching your breath, another voice made you jump.

"Ah (l/n)-san, you're here. Good," Washijo sensei said, walking inside the gym.

"W-wait, I haven't actually decided, but... could I get a trial period?"

He turned to face you, eyeing you curiously, but eventually gave in. "As you wish, but you will only have two months to decide. The Inter High Nationals are coming up and I need to register your name if you wish to join us. You can still be a trainee during preliminaries, starting next week."

You nodded understandingly.

"Now, let's meet the team."

~X•X•X~

"There's a girl," Ohira said, pointing towards you.

"Is that the new girl? I've never seen her before," Kawanishi mentioned.

"She's cute!" Tendou exclaimed excitedly.

Washijo sensei gestured to you. "This is our new manager."

"MANAGER?" the three gossip queens exclaimed in shock.

"Female," Goshiki began, and Shirabu continued, "Manager."

"Woi! She's here to take care of administrative issues, not for you to flirt with her!" Washijo scolded the boys.

You looked a tad bit uneasy. You had heard of the nickname 'demon coach' but you never saw it in action. He was fairly kind to you after all. Washijo looked at you, which was enough of a gesture for you to introduce yourself.

"I'm (l/n)(y/n), I look forward to working with you!" you bowed in honor.

"Coach," a familiar deep voice called. You stood up to find the attractive boy you had met in front of the gym just now. You gulped, trying not to make it obvious you were eyeing him with every chance you got.

"Yes?" Washijo asked.

"But we don't need a team manager," he bluntly replied.

Cue imaginary arrow to the heart. Suddenly this boy isn't so attractive after all. You clenched your fists in anger, offended by the completely rude remark.