[28] First Date

The morning sun shone on a gorgeous Saturday as you stood by your school gate with the breeze of autumn grazing your skin. As you waited patiently, the buzzing of your phone almost caught you off guard, even more when you read the caller ID.

You picked up with a smile, "Hey dad!"

"Hey, (y/n). I'm calling to let you know I'm back in Miyagi this weekend."

You nodded, "Yes dad, I'm aware."

"Well, if you want, let's do something today? I know it's kind of last minute."

You bit your lip. It wasn't that you didn't want to hang out with your dad, but rather that you had already promised Ushijima that you would go on a date with him.

Hesitantly, you replied, "I'm sorry dad. I already have plans."

"Really? Well that's alright then," he sounded somewhat upset.

"Sorry. But, I'll come back home for dinner!"

Your father sighed a little, but let it go. "Alright, (y/n). See you tonight."

As you put down your phone, you saw the sight of your boyfriend Ushijima walking towards you. You grinned at him, and gave an excited wave. A gentle smile graced his face in return, feeling his heart beat faster just at the mere sight of you.

"You look beautiful, (y/n)," he complimented you right away.

You felt a blush creep onto your skin as you chuckle lightly. "You look good too, Wakatoshi." And he did. He wasn't wearing extremely fancy clothes – in fact just casual attire. But all you've ever seen him wear was either the school uniform or sports gear that even a change in wardrobe like this made your heart flutter.

He grabbed onto your hand and intertwined his fingers with yours. For some reason, he just loved holding your hand. It was so small compared to his and he thought it was adorable. And you truly had no complaints — you loved it too.

"So, where are we going?" you asked.

He replied, "It's a secret."

You narrowed your eyes at him. Ushijima didn't originally want to keep it a secret – in fact he was so excited to let you know where he had planned on bringing you, but his teammates convinced him that keeping it a mystery would only make the date better.

On the bus as you sat beside each other, he wrapped his arm around your shoulder and instinctively, you leaned your head against him. Despite being together, the two of you agreed that it would be best to remain low-key about it, especially in school. And so, the two of you often would only spend time together by having private practices in the gym at night, and even then, you were restricted by curfew.

He was happy to finally get out. He felt so excited to finally be able to hold you in his arms, the way he had thought of every single day. He just wanted to hold you and keep you safe forever.

"You look beautiful, (y/n)," he whispered.

You looked up at him, "You said that already."

"I know. I just wanted to emphasize it," he told you, which made your smile stretch larger. This boy was so precious.

After reaching the stop and stepping out onto the road, he suddenly took out a piece of cloth from his pocket and handed it to you. "Please blindfold yourself. It is still a secret."

You laughed, shaking your head. "Can I trust you?" you asked teasingly.

"You will have to," he told you.

You smiled, "Alright, captain." He always melted when you called him that. You wrapped the cloth around your eyes, feeling slightly ridiculous to be out in the open public like that, but you gave it a shot.