[13] Don't Leave

Ushijima found you exactly the same as when he had come back the first time – staring blankly into the ceiling as if lost in thought.

You heard the shuffling of feet and knew right away it had to be your company. "Ushijima-san!" you exclaimed excitedly seeing him again.

He nodded slightly, "Oh." He didn't know why your eyes seemed to light up at the sight of him, or why you sounded happy to see him, but deep inside, he felt the same way about you too.

He gave you your food and with gratitude, you thanked him, "Thank you, Ushijima-san!"

As you ate dinner, you noticed he had taken out what looked like his homework, diligently doing his work by your side. You took a peek, "Is that your homework?"

He nodded, "Oh."

You commented, "It's so strange to watch you studying. I feel like all you are meant to do is play volleyball."

He replied, "It is, to an extent."

You let out a heavy breath, munching on your last bite, "I wonder, if you weren't planning to be a professional volleyball player, what would you be?"

He narrowed his brows, "Why would I not plan to be a volleyball player?"

"It's just a hypothetical question."

"I still don't understand why I wouldn't want to be a volleyball player."

You groaned, "Alright, what about if you weren't gifted with the talent of volleyball, what would you be?"

"But I am gifted in volleyball," he argued.

You continued, "Say you weren't. In another life."

He narrowed his brows. "I will train to get the talent of volleyball then."

You sighed. This boy was really impossible. Setting your packed dinner aside, you tell him, "You're no fun. Haven't you ever thought of the possibilities?"

He narrowed his brows, "No."

You leaned back into the bed and said, "Well, in another life, I've always thought I would be a bartender."

"A bartender?"

You chuckled, "Yea. I think it's super cool. There's just something so appealing about shaking up a drink and working at night."

"Oh," he replied, although not really understanding your logic.

You told him, "It seems that all you ever think about is volleyball. Maybe it's time to expand your mind a little."

"But volleyball is all that is important," he argued.

You retorted, "Perhaps, but having an imagination doesn't hurt, you know? Allow yourself to live a little."

He gulped, but nodded slightly. He didn't quite get what you meant, but he gave himself some time, and slowly understood it.

~X•X•X~

You had fallen asleep watching TV and it was already past curfew by then, but the nurse still hadn't returned. Ushijima yawned, feeling tired as well. He turned off the TV and made his way back to you, watching you sleep.

He began to admire you, wondering how you looked so beautiful as you slept. The way that you breathed calmly, your mouth opened slightly and your eyes closed off – it was a sight he wanted to cherish forever. He pursed his lips and with a soft hand, he found himself stroking the side of your face.

What are you doing to me, (l/n)(y/n)? he thought.

After a deep breath, he pulled his hand back and began to walk away, when he felt you stopping him. Your hand gripped his wrist, holding him in place, preventing him from moving any further.