[23] Summer

For the practices during summer break, you didn't attend a single session. There were not many managerial issues that needed to be settled and Coach Washijo allowed you to take the summer break off, which honestly – you needed.

You hopped between houses, either at your house, your aunt's or your grandfather's.

While you were at your grandfather's place one time, just lounging on the couch, the door opened, signifying someone's return.

"I'm back!" a familiar voice roared.

You shot up immediately, excited to welcome him back. After all, you hadn't seen him for almost a year now.

"Yu!" you called, causing him to turn.

Nishinoya's eyes lit up and the sight of you, "(Y/n)-chan!"

You jumped, as did he, giving each other a high ten before resuming a series of moves from your 'secret handshake'. It had been the way you two greeted each other since you were kids. "Where did you come from?"

"Ah, I just got back from a training camp in Tokyo," he said.

You widened your eyes, "Tokyo training camp? That's so cool!"

"Yea! We got to play against a bunch of powerhouses from there, including Nekoma and Fukurodani."

"Wow! That's awesome! I love watching Fukurodani play, especially when Bokuto-san is in tip-top condition!"

"Yea he's awesome! But you know, my team is awesome too! We're going to beat everyone and go to Nationals!"

"Oh? Karasuno right? I've never seen you guys play before."

"You should come to one of our matches! There's this first year duo – Hinata and Kageyama – who do amazing quick shots! And Hinata is a middle blocker, but he's only 164cm tall!"

"Middle blocker with that height? That's unheard of."

"But he can fly! All my teammates are amazing! And, we have a female manager too, Kiyoko-san. She's the prettiest girl in the whole Karasuno. It's a blessing to even get ignored by her! And of course, I'm as cool as ever," he said, pointing a thumb to himself.

You smiled, "I'll watch you guys during Spring High Prelims."

Nishinoya replied, "Oh, right, I keep forgetting you're in Shiratorizawa now. How is that going for you?"

You shrugged, "Well, actually, I'm managing the boys' volleyball team now."

"WHAT? No way! That means we're rivals!!"

"I guess we are."

"Wait, that means you know Ushiwaka? The top three spiker in the nation?"

You couldn't help but grunt just a little, your heart still racing hearing a simple name. Awkwardly you replied, "Y-yea, of course."

"Awesome! But just so you know, we're not going to lose!" he reaffirmed.

You chuckled, "Make sure you make it to finals then. We'll have a real battle."

"Yes!"

Soon, you both continued to talk, catching up on all the latest stories you had for each other. You both jumped as you spoke, practically exclaiming at everything.

It was always good to be around family.

~X•X•X~

"Where is (L/n)-san?" Goshiki asked in curiosity.

Shirabu answered, "Well it isn't compulsory for her to join in on practices."

"Well, it never was, that never stopped her before," Goshiki argued.

Ohira responded, "Well, maybe she's spending time with family. Let's not take that away from her."

"But just to spare a few hours?" Goshiki asked, shrugging. "It's strange. It's unlike her."

The team fell silent, somewhat agreeing with Goshiki. Tendou on the other hand, noticed the slightest hint of guilt in the captain's eyes.

"Wakatoshi, did you do something?" he interrogated, causing everyone to turn.

Ushijima confessed, "I may have done something to make her mad."

"What did you do?" Semi asked, raising a brow.

"I rejected her kiss."

There was a small pause of silence for the team to process the information before all of them yelled in unison, "WHAT?"

"Why would you do that?" Semi asked.

"Yea, don't you like her?" Ohira reasoned.

"Even if you didn't, she's super hot! Why would you turn away from a chance like that?" Tendou practically exclaimed in frustration.

Ushijima shrugged, "I don't know." That was the honest answer. That was how he felt any time you did anything. You were just so unpredictable; and it was the first time he had ever encountered a situation where he didn't know what to do.

"Well, you have to fix this," Tendou said.

"I'm afraid it might be too late." Ushijima breathed, "I'm convinced she hates me."

______________________________

a/n

kind of a filler, but important for future chapters

PLEASE DON'T HATE
I PROMISED FLUFF SO DONT WORRY I WILL NOT DISAPPOINT

i hope the next chapter will keep yall interested

hint: we meet someone familiar?