[4] Will Not Lose

What am I doing here?

It was already nighttime and no one approached the gym at this hour, which was probably why you were there. You stared at the net before recalling your memories. The sound of the whistle, the warmth of your body, the sweat that trickled down your forehead – you recall the small moments the last time you were on the court.

You take one ball and served it normally to the other side of the net. You recall the memories again. The squeaks from your shoes, the call from your teammates, the high toss your setter had given you. You run, almost pretending like you were in a match and just as you were about to jump, you stopped, looking up.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you can play volleyball anymore, you remember the doctor saying.

You recall that moment that led to your downfall ­– the three blockers before you closing on your straight. Your form was crumbling but you forced everything you had to turn that ball into a cut shot at the very last minute, allowing your team to take the victory at Nationals. You recall your body mid air, shutting down from all of it and you recall the pain that came when you landed wrongly. Then, came darkness.

Your tears cascaded like waterfalls as you looked at the empty court.

You are not part of this team. Not anymore.

You took another ball and served it to the other side.

You have nothing more to offer us.

And another, each grunting in anger.

We don't need you.

You had finally run out of balls to serve. You drop on your knees, crying to yourself.

"(L/n)-san," a familiar voice called you from behind.

You stood up immediately and turned to find the old man that recruited you. "Coach Washijo, I-I didn't mean to cause a mess. I'll clean up."

"What's wrong?" he asked.

You fell silent for a while. You sighed, "I don't think I should continue as your manager. I-I'm not needed here."

Washijo eyed you curiously. "Sometimes, people's words can hurt us. They can be blunt but you can separate a fact from an opinion. You can prove people wrong."

You looked up, unsure what to make of it.

"Your father never gave up on working on himself, and I can sense the same fire and spirit in you. I will be devastated if you prove me otherwise."

Washijo began to leave, but right before he exited he called out, "(L/n)-san, you are a lot stronger than you make yourself to be. If not, you wouldn't be standing here right now."

And like that you were left frozen. But his words were enough encouragement. You nodded to yourself and began cleaning up, not noticing at all the olive-eyed boy who had witnessed everything from the sides.

~X•X•X~

The next day, you came to practice, prepared to fight.

When Ushijima saw you, he immediately felt guilty, and almost wanted to apologize, but as he called you, "(L/n)-san, about yesterday-"

You grabbed him by his shirt and brought his face down to yours so you could stare at his eyes. The whole team was taken aback by your actions, gasping noticing how close your face was from their captain.

You interrupted him, "Keep to your words, because I will prove you wrong. I will prove that I am worthy to be part of this team, so don't you dare apologize. I meant what I said," you let go of his shirt, pushing him back. With a smile you told him, "I won't lose."

He gulped in shock, "Oh, right."

The team smiled, excited by your words. Washijo too, chuckled by the sides. Turns out, they didn't have to worry at all.