Chapter 12 : The Naming

Its been almost three days since I gave birth and for the life of us , Alfredo , Mariam and I can not come up with a name for the baby. Mom flew in yesterday to spend the week with us . She is currently yelling my ear off for "not having named her granddaughter ".

"Ma ! Look I understand ..but I did not like any of the names you suggested . " I said angrily as I switched my baby girl to my other breast. She wasn't latching on and I knew for a fact that she was hungry . I sighed , frustrated, she had been feeding well for the last two days , what was wrong ? I was snatched out of my thoughts when she let out a strong cry. I think she was feeling crowded. "Mariam can you take your sister into the nursery for a bottle please . I already have one heated up in the kitchen." I said pulling my shirt down when she continued to fuss.

"Umm but.. What about ... I thought you were " Mariam stuttered confused as to why I wasn't breast feeding. I shook my head , " she doesn't ... I'll try again later ."

"Cara you go feed the baby .. I'm sorry for upsetting you . " Mom said , brushing soft curls on the baby's head before kissing my cheek . I walked into the nursery and sat in the rocking chair next to the crib. Pulling up my shirt , I softly nudged her into the right direction, sighing when she finally latched on. I looked up when I saw Mariam kneeling in front of me . "Is she all better know ? " she whispered softly . I nodded suddenly feeling drowsy. " I guess she was just agitated from everyone being in her face. I was getting agitated too so I guess it affected her."

"Like how animals can sense fear . "

I glared at Mariam before chuckling quietly. " yeah Mariam .. " I rolled my eyes, and stood up to put Mariam in the crib. Placing a soft kiss on the crown of the sleeping baby's head , I grabbed the baby monitor and the small notebook of baby names we made.

"Come on cariño , let's go talk to your Nonna ."

" okay Ma , pick a name . " I said placing the book unceremoniously in her lap.

" Hmm let's see... How about Meghan ...or Eliza ?"

Eliza Di Blasio .....Meghan Di Blasio ... They do have a nice ring to it ." Liam added,taking a moment from Mariam's face to look at me. He blushed when he realized I had caught him staring . I smiled knowingly, they were so cute . Resting my head in my hand , I scrunched up my nose in distaste . " I don't know.... Meghan maybe ,but it's a no for Eliza ." I couldn't help but think of Eliza Doolittle .

"Hey Mariam , how come you don't have your dad's last name ?" Liam asked, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly .

Mariam giggled , " I do , it's hyphenated . I wanted both of mom and dad's names because mom doesn't have dad's last name and I'm both of their kid. Mariam Di Blasio - Parrilla , " she laughed again , " gosh that's a mouthful, but I love it . I like the names Amalia which means hard working and Isabella which means devoted to God. "

" I like Isabella , it's beautiful. ". I turned to my mother who nodded here head in agreement.

"It was my grandmother's name . " Mariam said her eyes going wide when Mama looked up. Mariam smiled weakly , " I uh ... I meant ..."

"Mariam stop , I understand . She was an important part of your family ,just like we are. " Mama smiled, but I could see the sadness that lingered in her eyes.

"Ohh I got an idea ! How about we try out different names by calling her by a name and the one that she responds to the most is her name."

"It's worth a shot .. " I grumbled

"Liam , Mama , Mariam and I tried 15 names and the little bambina didn't even respond.

"Okay one more try " Mariam walked to a corner of the living room where the baby couldn't directly see her. " Isabella ! Look over here ! "

To everyone's surprise , that we're darting around the room , focused on Mariam and a slow smile , or what looked like a smile formed on the small features and she started kicking her legs excitedly.

"She like it ! Yay we did it ! " Mariam cheered .

"Isabella Di Blasio ."

"Isabella " I called softly. Her eyes instantly darted towards me.

"Mom, Dad just texted me . He's coming home for lunch "

"Okay ..."

"Oh and Ginny and Jen want to come over too."

I nodded my head , " yeah tell them to come ."

An hour later , Ginny walked in with Josh , Oliver , Jen and Alfredo in tow. After everyone was introduced , Liam stood up to leave. "Bye everyone . Nice meeting you all . "

"Wait , Liam stay for lunch ". Mariam said grabbing onto his arm.

"I'm sorry , I can't i have baseball practice ." He said hugging her by the living room entrance. Mariam pouted cutely and started playing with her ring. Ginny , Mom and Jen all almost gasped when they saw it.

"I'll make it up to tomorrow okay ? My Sundays are all yours . " Liam said as he smoothed back Mariam's fly aways and kissed her cheek , but close enough that he kissed the side of her lip, " I love you . "

Mariam smiled , a small dimple becoming prominent in her left cheek. " I love you too ."

Liam poked her in the dimple and kissed her cheek on more time before leaving.

When Mariam walked back into the living room , Mama , Ginny and Jen all awwed. Mariam blushed brightly at this . " he gave you a promise ring!"

Dipping her head shyly and tucking hair behind her ear , Mariam said , " yeah .... He did . "

"Let me see , let me see ! " Ginny exclaimed excitedly pulling Mariam's hand towards her. The gold band glittered in the sunlight that was shining in through the window. " Its beautiful honey . Ginny said wiping away a stray tear. Mariam rolled her eyes, " you guys are acting like he proposed ! "

" He practically did . Does it have an inscription ? If it does than that seals the deal ." Jen said picking up Isabella . Mariam took the ring off after some hesitation and handed it to Jen who squealed in delight. " It say always !! Omg that's so cute .

" How long have you two been together ? " Jen asked taking Isabella from Jen who protested.

" ummm ... Officially five months . Liam gave me the ring in November on my birthday , a month ago. " Mariam smiled blushing slightly.

" Gosh you guys are so cute ! "

Josh and Alfredo came into the living room with Oliver in tow. " What are you guys squealing about ? " Alfredo laughed.

" Dad ,we are not pigs . Women do not squeal." Mariam said matter of factly , sitting up straight and jutting her chin out .

" oh.. Okay Mariam , that was scary you looked like your mom as the Evil Queen doing her stare thing." Jen laughed

" Really ? " Mariam questioned , quirking a finely shaped eyebrow.

" There ! Look she's doing it again . "

" Raising my eyebrows .." Mariam deadpaned , eyebrows still raised as she pursed her lips.

" Oh my Goddddddddd !!! Lana do you not see this ?! " Jen said look at me crazily .

" Really Mariam .. You look just like your mom when you do that stuff." Alfredo said sitting next to me .

" No I don't " Mariam blushed and murmured , " I'm not that pretty."

Hearing her I said , " of course she looks like her mama. Absolutely beautiful and not to mention fabulous."

"Thanks Mom." Mariam said snuggling into my side. " I love you Mama. " she whispered into my shoulder . " I love you too cariño.