Chapter 14 :New Year's Party

I was so consumed with helping Mariam get better, that I forgot about the party. This year, I was supposed to host this years New year party and I completely forgot. Every year a bunch of my friends and I would get together and have a party to celebrate the new year. So many wonderful things have happened to me over the past year, I got married , met Mariam and beame a mother, and then had Bella aand became a mother of two.

" Mariam ! " I yelled out , walking towards the kitchen looking for her.

"I'm in the kitchen Ma ! " She called back just as loud. Except for looking a little worn out from her unexpected sickness, Mariam looked perfectly healthy. " Hi ." Mariam waved from her perch on the counter,where she was munching on an apple.

"Mariam why are you sitting on my counters ? " I asked arching my eyebrows in warning.

"ahhh...sorry .I keep forgetting." She said blushing sheepishly as she slipped off the counters.

I sighed . This child ...Rolling my eyes ,I countinued, " Its fine, just stop forgetting. Anyway , I need your help with something. If you're up for it ."

"Sure .What is it ? " Mariam asked still munching away on the apple.

"I need help orginizing the New years party."

"What party ? Ma you do realize that its almost three weeks into February right ?" Mariam asked , her eyebrows schrunched together in confusion.

" I know. And its today too. I forgot to plan for it through out the year. " I winced

" MOm ! Today ! Really ! " Mariam exclaimed, her eyebrow dissapearing into her hairline.

"Well it was before I had you and Bella . I got distracted ." I shrugged.

Mariam dragged her hand down her face in exasperation." And there is no one else to do it ? "

I shook my head no ," Its my turn this year. And no Alfredo can't host."

Mariam huffed in annoyance and placed her half eaten apple on a plate next to her." Okay what do we need to do ? And is the party formal , semi formal or casual ?"

"The latter. But before you help, did you finish your homework and email it to the college ?"

"Yeah I did , right after I almost peed myself because Dad was tickling me again. Gosh I wish I wasn't ticklish ......its my kryptonite .".

"Okay great . We need to BJs and find a babysitter."

"Oh Mom maybe Jen can babysit with me . I was talking to her earlier today and she doesn't have anything to do."

"I thought you would want to come ? " I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion

" Oh ! I thought it was an adult party ."

" It is but you're hardly the immature teenager, and its more of a get together , than it is a wild party.And I kind of need a co-host."

" But what do I wear to this thing ?"

"We'll worry about that when we get there. " I said wrapping an arm around Mariam's shoulder , or at least I tried to. " You got taller. " I frowned

" Sorry ? " Mariam laughed and patted my head.

I playfully glared at her ,before brushing her hands away.Twenty minutes later we were bundled into the car , Bella gurgling happily in her seat in the back and Mariam and I in the front.

" So when is the party ? " Mariam asked looking up from her phone .

" It starts at 8:30 . But people are going to come much later.