chapter 3

"When you stop chasing the wrong things, you give the right things a chance to catch you."

Today will be eventful. I cautiously open my eyelids as the sun's beams peak through my window.

The weather is not beautiful today. I feel the perspiration on the back of my neck the moment I step out of the apartment building. Simultaneously, I race down the sidewalk, text Havva, and give a nod of acknowledgment to my mother tending her garden next door.

I take my car to class today.

After classes I pick up the bag of cookies I convinced Havva to concoct and straight up black coffee.

My hand runs through my hair and I tighten my bun as my eyes focus on the gate ahead.

Here goes nothing.

I have a plan. I very well-thought out plan. One that would make my country proud. A plan to follow the flow and hope for the best. This plan led me to an empty bag of cookies and an unfamiliar guard.

My poor father never received the gooey sweet treats. The poor soul.

Not only did the cookie excuse fall flat, but a new guard accompanied the old one, Sachiel.

"Hey Sachiel," I beam.

"Hello," He replies shyly and his partner scoffs.

I had trashed the cookie bag and grabbed my thin notebook earlier.

I give Sachiel and his partner an expecting smile, "I came for the interview."

The men share a glance.

"We don't know anything about an interview," the unknown man grunts.

"Yes. Well," I roll my eyes, "now you do. I should only be a few minutes with the prisoner-"

"I don't think so," both men cut me off.

"Oh come on, don't be such ninnies," I giggle and try to walk pass them.

"Oh no you don't," Sachiel says, "you are not permitted to interact with it."

"Well obviously I am allowed to. Why else would my father allow me back in here?" I retort.

Both men hesitate and I maintain my composure. I can do this. I would just apologize to them later for lying. Lying is very frowned upon in my community—though lies seems to be the bases of every elderly woman.

"Maybe we should check on that," the unknown man remarks skeptically. Both men seem at loss for words.

"Watch her, Sachiel. I'll locate her father," the unknown man walks off.

I realize I am on a time limit. He could be back any moment with my father, and I would be doomed. For all I knew, my father is on other side of the nearest door.

I release a shallow breath. "Should I be worried how he knows who I am?" I question lightly.

"You are The Generals daughter, everyone knows who you are," Sachiel admits.

I should expect such a response.

"May I please just ask it a few questions? I swear no one will know," I implore Sachiel. "It will be only a moment. I just need to comprehend how real and evil this thing is," I explain.

The tense seconds feel like eternity before he slowly nods and steps out of the way. I scurry pass him before he changes his mind.

"Mate," I hear a growl as I step near the cage. I feel the slight buzz of the electricity from the bars.