Chapter 10 Electric Names

"The only way to have a friend, is to be one."-Ralph Waldo Emmerson

(Weekend –Day 10)

Creep.

I feel like a creep.

The strange fact that Sevastyan is asleep on my couch shocks me to the core.

I shuffle pass. I have never seen Sevastyan asleep before. He is always sitting patiently on the couch, wide awake, and ready for the "medicine" I give him in the morning. He seems so human without his beady eyes peering down on the world.

I shake off the thoughts and run to take a shower.

I imagine myself prepped for the day, and skipping down to give Sevastyan the new poison, and him accepting the syringe eagerly; however, I ruin that dream the moment I stutter a hello.

His resilient silence is my only answer and I carry on with my chore. Slowly, I move to administer the formula. He only flinches lightly as the needle penetrates his skin.

How is it that a small needle causes this large man to flinch, yet electrocution does nothing?

I dispose of the syringe on the way to the kitchen.

"I am leaving in the next hour," I say, "be ready." I look over the bar in time to see his face pale. Do monsters' faces typically get pale? He has never paled before! He has always maintained a light glow, I would have noticed otherwise. I wince at my own lie.

The point is that he could be sick, and medicine is not my forte.

---

My fingers grip the sides of my chair. I sit in the library, hoping that a familiar face will show up at any moment.

Sevastyan's hardly awake and that worries me more than his pale face. My father has a tendency to neglect small details, but these details could be the end of the human race.

A disease from a foreign species? My father had better given Sevastyan his shots before entering the human community.

I tap my foot a few more times before I spot Sachiel.

"Sachiel!" I yell from the far side of the library. He smiles upon seeing me and I eagerly drag him into a seat to talk.

"Do monsters get sick?" I interrogate. His face reveals nothing. "Do you know if Sevastyan-the beast- got his shots? Does his kind get sick? Ithink he is sick, Sachiel," I confess to the guard I met at Sevastyan's cage a week ago. "He could introduce a new sickness to us. Did he get his shots?" I ask again.

"Slow down, Adrianna," he laughs. "I am just a guard. We are forbidden from hearing anything but our orders," he recites.

"Sachiel," I warn.

"Yes, Adrianna. He got his shots, have you told your father about your issue?" he grips my hand.

I mumble an unintelligible answer and move to a different subject. "What is with the new potions?"

He gives me a warning stare that I naturally return.
"I have to go, Adrianna," he answers and pushes from the table.

"I thought you worked here on Fridays?" I eye him skeptically.

"I do," he grimaces, "I have to work. I am sure you have somewhere better to be on a Friday, than in the library." He struts away.

I motion to Sevastyan, who sits quietly two tables behind me, and leave the Learning Hall.

My journey to the Deli is spent nervously formulating new locations to loiter with my friends. A place to eat and relax now that the coffee shop is off limits.