Chapter 17 Bonfire

"The best dreams happen when you are awake."-

Chpt 17

I am shaking.

From the cold and the rebellious act. How could I not administer the medicine?

Sevastyan is not only a danger to me, but to everyone else. I endangered people by my naïve decision.

I am supposed to be the smart one.

Sevastyan and I explore the busy streets of the city, going store to store.

"Hey," I grab Sevastyan's attention, "look at that." I show him a festival poster.

"Have you ever been to a bonfire?" I ask him.

He doesn't answer so I take that as a no. We head to the more wary part of town, where the shops are local instead of brand name. I shiver from the cold, hoping that somewhere is a warm, but interesting store.

By the time I locate one, my arms feel frozen and Sevastyan looks less than pleased.

"Come on, let's go," I drag him over to the mysterious shop. It sits between two huge stores and has artistic masks lining the window.

"We should get you something warm," Sevastyan steers me over to the coffee shop down the road, but I decline.

"Food won't get me warm, silly," I push him off and shuffle into the store.

He hesitates and I wonder what is making him so nervous, but I don't dwell too long.

"Hello, there!" calls the employee as we enter. The man pops up from under the counter with a large smile. The box he holds clatters to the ground and I instantly reach over to help him.

"No," Sevastyan quickly grabs my arm. His voice softens as he repeats the word and leads me away from the employee.

"Sevastyan," I scold. I stop when I see his face. His forehead is crinkled and he looked calculating. Like he actually has a mind of his own, and is using it.

I allow him to steer me through the shop. Not only because his attitude makes me nervous, but because I secretly enjoy the warmth of his hand on my lower back.

I feel supported.

A dark wooden piece catches my eye and I pick the object up carefully. Sevastyan quickly snatches the wolf from me and sets it back down.

I forget about the carved piece as both of his hands rests on my hips.

He is touching me, and I am comfortable with it?

My heart flutters from the risky touch.

I am borderline panicking at that moment, and I receive an adrenaline rush from the very placement of his hands.

I feel scandalous, and I find it addicting.

I glance at him curiously from time to time, as he keeps one arm protectively around me.

I blame my compliance with the need to step out of my comfort zone. Why else would I do this? Why else would I allow this contact?

I take a shaky breath and try to relax in his hold. I am safe here, I won't get hurt for allowing this. I am in a different city. I focus on my breathing.

Enjoy the moment now, don't worry about the later.

My mind doesn't work the way I want it too. In fact, it did nothing else but over dramatize Sevastyan's touch.

We travel around the ice skating rink.
"Will you ever go ice skating with me?" I ask him lightly. He grimaces but as he stares into my eyes, I see a shift.

Maybe his eyes widen a little, and he blinks more often; or the way the light hits his face and washes away his frown; but there is a shift in his stare.

"Maybe," he throws me for a loop and I bite my lip. I didn't want to scare him with my enthusiasm; but 'maybe' is much closer than never.

A gun shot breaks my train of thought and I duck with everyone else. Sevastyan stays standing and I pull him down; instead, he pulls me up.

A commotion echoes through the park and we immediately spot the source. Across the ice rink, a crowd was fighting to get into a grand building.

The building looked anything but ordinary, with its marble steps and golden signs. The protest sounds vicious and I rush Sevastyan from the park.

Riots draw too much attention, and that is the last thing I want for Sevastyan and I.

"What is that?" Sevastyan sneers. I don't know, but I am willing to find out.

"Excuse me sir!" I call out to a park director. The diverse languages require many directors to be scattered throughout the park. "What is going on?"

The tall man sighs at seeing the riot.

"Dumb people," he purses his lips, "fighting for no reason."

I blink up at him, and wait for a real answer. The man gives in quickly.

"They want to end a war by starting a rally, ludicrous ideas," he shakes his head, "they want to fight for freedom and equality for all beings; like the lycanthrope. Instead, they are just endangering everyone nearby."

I take Sevastyan's hand in mine and head to the safety of our room.

"Hopefully, that will cool down by tonight; for the festival," I say.

--

I couldn't fathom why there was a riot. We were already free, weren't we?

The lycanthrope idea is out of the question, but equality isn't a bad thing.

Before I know it, the sky darkens and we travel to the festival.

The masks all around us are unique in colors and shapes. The designs are terrific and I grow excited as we near the center of the park.

Music echoes through the streets and the fire blazes into the sky. Trollies scatter at the street corners for drunks and couples. The booths hold a variety of activities, but my attention draws to one thing, the bonfire.

The people smash into one another as the crowd pushes back to let the parading musicians through. I grab Sevastyan's hand and try to ignore the tingles.

I only grab him so I wouldn't lose him. Then, I refocus onto the show.

Men and women, dressed in exotic garments dance to their own music around the fire; and the show begins.

It was a beautiful story that had me appreciating my environment, and the people I shared it with.

I squeeze Sevastyan's hand and glance up. The breath rushes from my lungs as the of his lips tip up. His scowl is gone, and is replaced with content.

Sure it isn't the smile I secretly dream about, but it is a step to a world of possibilities.

His eyes light up as the story unfolds before us; and I enthusiastically watch.

All the while, holding tight to Sevastyan's warmth.

QQ

I have decided to give you some background-which will be revealed later during the story :P but war didn't immediately break out. In fact, Sevastyan was 12 before anything started threatening the werewolf community.  Anyways, here is a mini timeline XD

May 24 Werewolves are to be census and handled by their own country.

August 27- War Declared (Sevastyan is 16)

My fav joke ever:

Why was the baby strawberry sad?

..

Because his mumy was in a JAM c: C: