chapter 5 Day Uno and Day Dos

"A journey of thousand miles begins with a single step."-Lao Tzu

I wake up to the sun beaming down on me. I immediately call up my sister Kalila.

Strangely, there is no answer. I check the calendar to confirm today is Friday and examine my phone curiously. If only the device could hold all my answers.

I will just have to wake her up. Strangely I felt well for my late night; happier and lighter. While searching for my hair band I stumbled across a case.

The night before hits me like a bucket of ice cold water.

I was not alone in this apartment. The syringe in my hand seemed to pull me to my daunting door.

Quietly, I tiptoe to my hall and peak through my entrance. The Monster sat on the couch. The beast appears to be awake from its posture, however its eyelids are closed.

I walk to the kitchen and bang around pots and pans just to be sure he wakes up. It takes only a second for me to decide on making an extra plate of food.

I am supposed to treat it humanely. I hear a shuffle somewhere behind me but stick stubbornly to my task. Leaving the monster's plate on the kitchen counter, I walk mine to the quaint round table in front of my window.

The early morning sun expands across the city, and I welcome its grasp through the wall to wall window. The morning would be a fantastic start to my journey with the enemy, if the syringe did not weigh so heavily in my pocket.

Abandoning my plate, I confront the monstrosity living within my household.

"This is required, okay?" I say without meeting its eyes. I stick the syringe into its arm as fast as I can. With its tough skin, I practically had to stab the needle in.

Retreating quickly, I snatch up my bag and briefly wonder whether the monster will follow my departure.

The monster follows.

Technically I was walking away from it, but I really wish it would stay closer to me. I am watching over the beast, and the farther away it is, the less control I have.

It follows me to my sister's door. It follows me when I leave a message for my sister to meet me at the orphanage; and it follows me when I walk out into the cool breeze.

"Adrianna!" a familiar voice yells from next door. I retreat from the main side walk and cut through the grass to my mother's garden.

"Yes?" I ask skeptically. My mother blows some hair from her face and eyes me cautiously.

"Do not forget about the General's Ball tomorrow. Wear your heels, and maybe put on some light make-up. I am sure your sister would gladly help you when she also attends," she stresses the last part.

The ignorance she assumed would have offended me, if I did not hear the double meaning behind her words. She wanted to make sure Kalila did not bail on the family. No doubt Kalila would rather enjoy another conquest than a serious social event.

I give her a sharp nod and retreat.

"Adrianna," her voice shakes, "is it coming?"

I follow her eyes to the monster and glance back at my snooty mother. I give her another nod and scurry off.

My mother is a shy woman, who complies and submits to my father's whim. She is so obedient, but she is also strong when she deals with my father. At that moment, the way she refers to the monster makes me feel ashamed to say that this woman gave me life.

I am a hypocrite.

Could the monster not speak, is it defected or something? The quiet footsteps following me were taunting me.