Chapter 15

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying 'I will try again tomorrow.'"-Mary Radmacher

My morning run is nothing spectacular. In fact, the cold makes it terrible. I chaotically race to the Deli where Havva waits. I had woken up later than usual and had plans with her. Sevastyan was prepared before me, and I felt strange having to rush him too.

I stumbled into the Deli and quickly order a toasted sandwich before spotting Havva.

"Hey guys," Havva waves us both over.

Nothing is special about her affability; however, as Sevastyan takes a seat beside her, he gives her a nod.

He gives her a nod.

Sevastyan had just acknowledge my friend in a civil and human way.

Both Havva and I almost burst with jubilance at this progression.

"So I have an exam tomorrow," Havva confesses with a grin, "and I need some serious break time. It's a night class, so I can totally sleep in." She utilizes her puppy dog eyes on me.

Every year before a final exam, Havva would force us to stay the night with each other to relax before her big test. It is a tradition that clears her mind and gives her confidence.

She always passes so I haven't doubted the tradition.

"Havva," I say solemnly as I eye up Sevastyan.

"Oh come on, Adey! Please!" She begs.

I study Sevastyan. He did greet Havva today, and befriending her could be the next step in his transition into our society.

"Okay," I cautiously answer and watch for Sevastyan's reaction. I feel like an idiot for not explaining to him what I agreed too; but that wouldn't change Havva's mind anyways.

We eat while Havva brags about meeting a new boy.

"So I will catch you later. Tonight!" Havva hops up from her seat and gives me a friendly kiss on the cheek. "Ta-ta!" she waves and skips out the door.

"She is something," I gather the trash from my meal. Sevastyan had opted to eat at home.

"So," I begin as I walk to class with Sevastyan, "Havva will be staying the night with us."

I hope he takes it well.

--

After my final exams I trudge home. I am not mentally in the mood for anything at the moment.

The wind blows my hair around and it takes a large amount of energy to fix up my bun.

I hear a strange bing as I enter my apartment, and reach for the blinking light on the kitchen counter.

Upon answering the phone, Havva's voice echoes throughout the room.

"Okay, I don't know the temperature in your apartment right now. Usually I'm over more often to tell. You fluctuate a lot," she rambles, "tank top and shorts, or long jammies?"

I think a moment.

"Hello?" Havva calls.

"Yeah, I am thinking. Hold up," I muse, "I just took a killer exam. Uhm..." I look around.

What am I wearing?

"A mixture of both, tank top and long pants," I answer.

"Cool, thanks," she immediately hangs up and I set the small device back onto the counter as Sevastyan takes a seat on his designated stool. I noticed he always sits in the same place at the kitchen bar.