Chapter 14

"Stop thinking of what could go wrong, and start thinking of what could go right."

My hands run up and down my sides for warmth and I shiver. It has gotten significantly colder as the winter sets in. I've heard that back in the day, it was near impossible to get weather this cold near the equator; but as time goes on, the earth changes.

The early morning breeze is anything but warming. I wrap my hands around my portable cup of tea and walk briskly to the Martial Arts Hall.

I reluctantly leave Sevastyan in the corridor as I enter my classroom.

"Welcome back class!" my voice echoes across the room as everyone scampers to their designated spots. "I hope you guys practiced."

We spar and do strength training before the class ends. I bundle up half-heartedly and emerge from the room in search of Sevastyan. I smile when I spot him exactly where I left him. I am happy he follows orders.

I drag him to yoga before we hit up the Deli.

"One veggie sandwich, please. Toasted," I order and peel off my gloves before making my way to an empty booth. After stripping off my bag, jacket, gloves, and scarf, I poor myself a cup of tea by the front counter and sit.

Sevastyan remains outside, his head dips down to avoid the icy breeze that fumbles with his hair.

He wears the scarf I bought for him to cover the electrical collar around his kneck and a long-sleeve shirt. The scariest thing about him is the fact that he is loitering outside the store.

Havva crashes into the other side of the booth and ardently begins stripping off her coat. Unlike me, she wore layers.

"Hey," she greets and rubs her red hands together, "have you ordered yet?"

"Yeah," I reply and take a sip of my tea. She eyes me mischievously.

"I saw your boy out there," she starts and nods at Sevastyan. "You're not being a good momma," she chuckles, "leaving your pet out in the cold." She gets up to order before I could quip.

I set my cup down and inspect Sevastyan through the large window. Could he really be cold?

I bite my lip at the thought of being in the warmth, yet forsaking him to the cold.

What ever happened to showing him the good in our society? My hands slide from my forehead and through my hair. My bun releases and I quickly fix it as I eye up Sevastyan. Should I risk bringing him in?

There is only one other person besides Havva and I in the Deli; and he is working fervently behind the counter.

Havva returns with her cup of tea. She hunches over the drink and inhales the steam before slumping back with a sigh. Havva catches my stare and gives me a daring smirk.

"Go on," she goads, "invite him in."

Was she serious? I glance at the employee behind the counter, and then to Sevastyan. The breeze picks up and his scarf blows wildly in the wind.

I taste blood in my mouth, but continue to press my teeth to my lip anyways. I double check if Havva is genuine about her suggestion. She stares at me expectantly, and with a huff I push from my seat with newfound courage.

The cold hits me in the face and stuns me when I exit the building. I abandoned my winter gear with Havva. A tremor shoots down my body as the chilly draft picks up. I refocus on my goal and march my cold behind over to Sevastyan's lazy stance.

"You," I spit harshly, "should come in. You are scaring people by loitering around here," I cross my arms and stomp right back inside the warm Deli.