Chapter 4 Part 2

--<3

It towers over me.

The moment its eyes opened, they connect with mine. I stumble off-guard and it takes the opportunity to stand to Its full height.

Those eyes could rip skin away. The tension in the room as the two guard's blindfold him make me feel like a bird under the ocean. I was drowning in the thick atmosphere.

The Monster and two guards follow my brisk steps to the ground level. I hope the fresh air will clear my lungs.

Once in front of the facility I banter on whether or not to stare at It openly now, or later. My conscience chooses for me to continue my walk to the apartment with the Monster following behind.

This is the moment I let a cruel and unusual creature into my life. I know, deep down inside, that changing a disgusting creature is no easy feat. Truthfully, I will probably die before that feat could even be considered.

I unlock my metal door and hold my breath as I let It in. I wish I owned a shed or something for It to

sleep in-- outside of my home.

By this point, I am so into my own thoughts, that I allow the Monster to stand in the middle of my living room for about 20 minutes. I heave in a breath and rush to the linen closet.

Would It need a pillow? Does It get cold? My questions feel silly but I have no answers. Our enemies have been compared to devils before, which could mean that they never get cold. I brush off the ridiculous thought and lay a pillow and blanket on the couch.

"Stay here," I command. "I will be back."

I grab my bag and head out. I freeze at the door.

I am supposed to be trying, for my country and for the lives of humans; I promised my father and his boss. I search for a question to direct towards the creature.

"Are they mighty poor where you come from?" I finally ask.

His face remains stone as I wait patiently. The answer never comes and I race from my home.

--

I climb up the last step into the hidden treehouse at the edge of the imaginary line between humans and monsters. Vigilance is key in finding the domain near the divide between human and enemy territories.

Lily bounces up from the other side.

"Adrianna!" She sings my name and tugs me into a hug. I do not flinch like I used to. Lily is amazing like that. She is the sweetest creature on earth, even if she is plagued

"Hello Lily," I giggle and wave at Nicole who stumbles behind Lily.

I assess Nicole for any bruises hidden behind her islander skin color.

"Anyeong," she greets in Korean. She notices my stare and suppresses a smile.

"He did nothing but love me," she informs happily and quickly blushes at the double meaning.

"Have you talked to your family yet?" I ask her politely. Her brown eyes slightly dim.

"No, the human side is pretty adamant on keeping "betraying humans" out. We are scum to them," she pouts.

I quickly wrap the girl in my arms.

"I missed you guys so much," I beam. I could not hide my enthusiasm.

"I know! It has been eons!" Lily throws her hands in the air and tackles me into another hug.

"Ages," I agree.