Newlyweds

Kurama opened the door to a happy, yet chaotic, scene.

Two little children struggled on the floor, each trying to commandeer a small, red toy train. A big black lab was trying to get friendly with a calico cat. The cat was not enjoying the attention of the dog and was displaying this displeasure through hisses and swiping paws. Another dog, a cocker spaniel, was trying to lick a lovely, young Japanese women to death and a young man with short black hair was trying to pull the cocker spaniel off of his wife. Both were laughing joyously. 

At that moment, a middle-aged man with greying hair and a pair of square glasses–Shiori’s husband, Kazuya–came out of the hallway announcing that dinner would be ready in ten minutes.

Soon, the young couple had dislodged the cocker spaniel, affectionately named Fluffmonster, and were trying to settle down the two youngsters. Kurama hung his coat in the front closet and followed the short procession of people back into the hallway as his stepbrother, Shuichi, and Shuichi’s wife of two years, Kanako, herded their child, Yuuta, and his uncle–Kurama and Shuichi’s infant half-brother, Daisuke–to the bathroom to wash up for Yuuta’s second birthday dinner. As they passed the kitchen, Kurama entered the room to a myriad of delectable smells. 

There was his mother, Shiori, stirring a without a doubt delicious concoction at the stove. Kurama walked over, greeted his mother with a kiss on the cheek, and sampled the simmering dish. 

“It’s delicious, mother. Do you know where Lyra is?” he inquired.

Two arms snaked their way around his waist from behind and he felt the pressure of a wholly feminine body pressed against his back. “Right here, you handsome devil.”

Kurama smiled as his wife squeezed his middle tightly, her breath warm on his shoulder blade.

Suddenly, Lyra’s hand was in his and Kurama was whirling his beautiful wife around and into his arms. She was wearing a russet orange dress in honor of Yuuta’s birthday and it twirled out fully as she came to rest within Kurama’s embrace. After catching her surprised breath, Lyra relaxed and settled comfortably into Kurama’s chest.

“You look stunning,” Kurama whispered in Lyra’s ear.

“I missed you, too,” Lyra teased with a grin. She felt Kurama’s chuckle reverberate through his chest and hers and a pleasant shiver wriggled its way down her back. “Come on,” Lyra said, reluctantly shrugging out of her husband’s strong arms and leading him by the hand. They went to the cupboards and grabbed plates, eating utensils, and cups. Together, they set the table never letting go of each other’s hand while Shiori watched them from the corner of her eye, a knowing smile gracing her features.

‘Newlyweds.’