soulmate | 1

⚘ ⚘

⚘ ⚘

The cityscape was pleasant to look at from afar. But when you zoom in, into a certain sidewalk in a bustling town of Japan, you can see the big cracks caused by the fight between some of UA's senior students against a group of villains. You, a prominent journalist's intern, was tasked to take pictures and notes of what was happening. Now, this would scare any other quirkless human but you weren't fazed. Actually, you were a bit confident that nothing was going to happen to you.

Boy, were you wrong.

As you were walking (technically running), trying to take pictures, a villain had hit a building nearby and probably, in a few seconds, you were going to be squished by big boulders of concrete. You tried to run but you were too shocked to even move and your eyes just stared at what seemed like your impending death. You felt your skin shiver as an ice wall was standing in the way between you and the debris, causing it to freeze on its spot. The man standing in front of you held you close as you felt your cheeks warm up from the contact. "Are you alright, miss?"

Both of you didn't realize the timer on top of your heads counting down to seconds. Time seemed to slow down as you watch how his heterochromatic eyes stared into yours. You blinked twice before answering him properly. "I'm (First name) (Last name), I'm fine! Thanks for saving me!"

"Please, take care next time," Shoto stopped in his tracks, placing you down, not quite hearing what you just said but he was sure you introduced yourself. He was smiling at you before running off to attack the enemy. His timer has disappeared but he did not notice that yet. You stared as you held on to your camera tightly, gulping as you tried to remove the memory of his face away from your mind.

Dang, who knew heroes could be that attractive?

After what seemed like an endless 2 hours of fighting, the heroes had gained their well-earned victory. Shoto and a few of his classmates met up and a few people crowded them, giving them praise. You, however, stayed on the sidelines still taking pictures of all of them. You never really like mingling with crowds and your picture with them being crowded seemed like a better cover page for the newspaper. When you were satisfied, you smiled as your (hair color) strands covered your face slightly.

Shoto noticed you standing there with that smile on your face and was about to approach you but Tenya caught his shoulder on time, telling him that it was time to head back. He parted his lips lightly trying to explain that he needed to talk to you for some reason but did not do much to disobey the class president.

You watched as the student heroes made their way back and going back to watch the picture on the camera of a certain white and red-haired male. "Wait 'til Kyoka hears about this," you said to no one but yourself as you made your way back to the office.

It was evening when Shoto was pacing around the common room looking a little stressed and worried. He ran his hand over his face, blowing a big gust of wind, looking up to the roof and tapping his foot. "You've been pacing all over the place for 20 minutes now, Icyhot! I'm getting annoyed," Katsuki exclaimed as he started to produce sparks on his hands. "I don't want to fight you right now, imbecile. I am in the middle of a crisis here," Shoto spat as he sat on the sofa next to Deku.

"And what would that crisis be, Todoroki?" Deku tilted his head at the male who sat beside him.

"I lost my soulmate timer..."

Everyone in the room froze at the statement. The air that was blowing in the room became too chilly as the silence started to fill the room. Heck, even Katsuki had his eyes wide. They tried to speak up but it seemed like Shoto got to read their minds over the question that bothered them as much as it bothered him. Who did you meet and how did you lose it?

"I don't even remember their name..." Shoto sighed in defeat as he slumped in his chair. While the others tried to comfort him, Kyoka Jiro was inside her room, talking to the girl that Shoto had just met earlier that day.

The sole reason why Shoto had lost his fucking timer.

"What made you call me today, (your name)? That seems like a new thing to me," Kyoka chuckled as she sat on her bed, leaning on the wall beside it. You clicked your tongue as you pouted on the other line, still thinking about the male you saw earlier. Your heart was beating incredibly fast and you were sure if the guy wasn't your soulmate, you would be considered cheating.

You explained what happened earlier this morning, leaving the details about how the hero looked. When Kyoka pushed you to tell her, you just said he looked attractive. "Well, there is also another thing running on my mind today, Kyoka~" you whined as you fell back on your bed, staring at the hologram on top of you. "What is it?"

"How does this soulmate thing work?"

"Excuse me? Who are you and what have you done to (your name)?"Kyoka's eyes widened as she choked on her own words, hearing what just came out of your mouth. "Don't tell me you hit your head on that incident or something?! Are you okay?!" You asked the female to tone down from shouting as she might bother people in her dorm. "Nah, they're all busy anyway... a classmate of ours lost his timer and he can't remember the name of his soulmate."

"That's sad..." you frowned. "I hope he finds them, right?"

"Anyway, let me explain to you about soulmates!" Kyoka exclaimed as she raised her arms up even though you can't see it. "You know the basic stuff, the timer only disappears when you meet your soulmate, right?" you hummed in agreement, she continued. "Well, what they didn't tell you is that even if the name of your soulmate gets passed around by other people, the timer won't disappear. It has to be the soulmate that says their names to one another."

"Ah, that makes a lot of sense now..."

"And if your soulmate hasn't turned 18, their timers are often put as unknown," Kyoka continued her lessons about the soulmate system but her voice was soon drowned out by your own thoughts. You closed your eyes, trying to concentrate but Kyoka was right about one thing in your conversation.

Since when the fuck did you care about this system?

Shoto shot up from his bed that night though as he soon realized when someone introduced themselves to him. He recalled what you looked like and smiled a bit as he remembered saving you from the falling debris, your irises filled with wonder, fear, and surprise. It was definitely a good thing you weren't dead or he would have been devastated. He tried to remember your voice and the way you said your name but it was frustrating him a lot.

The male groaned lightly and messed his hair up as he gave an infuriating sigh.

"Shit, what was her name again?"