The Spice of Life

May 11th 2019

{ANNIE}

On my way to the studio, I swing by Tommy's apatment to pick her up. She gets just as excited as I do when Adam brings famous people to our little town.

Tommy and I have been best friends since first grade when a boy in our class made fun of her name. Her real name is Tamara, but it turns out, that's hard for first grade boys to pronounce so, they just called her "Tommy" instead. She hated it, but I'm the one who convinced her to keep it because I thought it was cool when girls have boy names. And now, at age 24, she still wears that name like a badge of honor.

As I pull up her driveway, she comes galloping out of her front door wearing a blue floral mini skirt, a white cardigan, and those awful chunky fila sneakers that we all give her shit for, but she says it's 'fashion'. She also stuck some silver clips in her hair and these 90's style cat eye sunglasses she spent far too much money on. Tommy loves fashion and makes sure everybody knows it by wearing outfits you can tell she put time into and giving unsolicited fashion advice, which I'm sure to be receiving as soon as she gets into my car. 

"You're about to meet a celebrity and you're wearing jeans?" She asks as she climbs in. 

"How did I know you were gonna say something about my outfit?" I laugh. She doesn't do this to be mean. She does it 'because she cares', or at least that's what she tells me.

"I'm just saying. What if he's hot?"

"And what if he isn't?"

"Who cares? He's a musician. That's your type." Tommy's been trying to set me up with any guy she possibly can since she started dating Adam. I think part of her feels bad that I don't have someone and she does, but mostly, I think she wants someone to go on double dates with.

I've thought about dating again. I haven't even been on a date, much less had a boyfriend since Noah. We were fine for a while, but then he left about a year ago to be a guitarist in a band based in LA. I pretended to be fine with it, that was his dream. He told me he'd stay if I wanted him to, but I knew as well as he did that he didn't want to stay for me. He wouldn't have been happy.

"Do you know who it is yet?" Tommy asks, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Nope. Adam won't tell me. I'm surprised he didn't tell you, though." I answer. Much to my dismay, Adam and Tommy started dating 2 years ago when Adam came back from LA. It's great for them, Tommy had been crushing on Adam for years beforehand and they're happy together, but it's still a little weird watching your brother date someone who's practically your sister.

"I know. He must be really excited about."

I take off down the road and turn on some music. Tommy goes on about some town gossip, I think about some people we went to high school with. I'm half listening to her and the other half is aggressively impatient about getting to the studio.

{HARRY} 

"Alright, so this is where the magic happens." Adam says as he opens the door to his recording studio. I don't know why but I wasn't expecting this studio to be so detailed. Adam explains that he renovated his poolhouse to be like it is now. On one side of the glass, there's a few couches and heaps of guitars lining the walls. Inside the studio, there's even more random instruments and a few booths inside, which is nice. I've recorded in places where I was shoved between two mattresses and I could hardly breathe.

"You can take a look around if you want," He goes on, "Tommy and Annie should be here soon, figured you should meet them, too."

"Who?" I ask.