Christmas Tree Bonfires

December 27th

{ANNIE}

It never fails to amaze me how different LA is from my mundane, Solana Beach life.

Everytime I think I've seen everything there is to see, that there's nothing anyone can do to surprise me, the world has a funny way of saying "hold my beer" and sending something my way that's completely out of my comfort zone.

For starters, on my drive through downtown LA yesterday to get to Tommy's apartment, I witnessed a Christmas tree bonfire at 2 pm in a neighborhood park. Then, once arriving to Tommy's office building, I saw what I'm pretty sure was every single member of the Kardashian family exiting an elevator like it was a clown car.

It's also worth mentioning that I've seen at least ten different posters and billboards of Harry's album just in the short time that I've been here. I try to ignore them as best as I can, but Tommy likes to shoot them a feigned annoyed glance every time we pass one. I know she doesn't have any bad blood with him, she does it for my sake. But, being bitter isn't going to make it go away. And pretending I don't miss him doesn't make the world forget he exists.

Today, though, I couldn't give less of a shit about billboards or weird LA sightings. All my attention is focused on the flashdrive in my hands and the sheet music almost spilling out of my shoulder bag as I wait outside the office of what could be my new boss if this meeting goes well.

I arrived half an hour before I was meant to be there. I thought being early would ease my anxiety, even just a little, but instead, it's made me notice every single time the clock ticks on the wall, just counting the minutes as they go by. I turn the flash drive over in my hands. I adjust the sleeves of the blazer Tommy forced me to wear. I check and make sure all the pages of music in my binder are all still there. I follow this same routine over and over again, hoping it will settle my nerves, but it doesn't.

The songs I recorded on this flashdrive are only demos, but it's some of my best work. After I broke things off with Noah, my mind felt like a dam that just broke and everything I'd been holding back since Harry finally set free. Songs came pouring out of me like I was fucking Carole King and they didn't stop. Adam lent me his studio to record some songs and I didn't leave for a week. Everything I ever felt for Noah, for Harry, and for myself is all on this flashdrive. I don't know how it can get more real than that.

"Annie?" A voice filters through my anxious thoughts. The assistant I'd met earlier pokes her head outside the office door. I learned earlier her name is Phoebe and she and I share the same opinions about 70's rock bands.

"Hm?" I say, shooting my head in her direction.

"Hayden's ready for you." She says with a smile, mouthing 'good luck' with a thumbs up as I pass by her through the door of the office.

As I enter the room, I open my mouth to greet the man I'd only spoken over the phone with, but before I can, Hayden greets me with a loud, but warm, "Annie!"

I don't know what I expected him to look like, but I can't say I expected him to resemble a hippie version of Stanley Tucci's character from The Hunger Games. He wears a tweed blazer over a band tee shirt that I don't recognize with a brightly colored scarf around his neck. Neon blue glasses and a salt a pepper beard hang over his smile that spreads ear to ear.

"You must be Mr. Garber." I say, with a hand outstretched to shake his.

"Oh, please. Call me Hayden. I hate formalities." He says, taking my hand. "Please, sit!"

I take his offer, sitting in one of the plush chairs on the opposite side of his desk. All of the furniture in the room looks like he pulled it all from the depths of some antique store, but I love it. Makes it feel more homey, which makes this whole situation feel a lot less tense.