To Be So Lonely

October 31st 2019

"Don't call me baby again. It's hard for me to go home..."

{HARRY}

It's been 2 months and 12 days since I left Solana. 

I've got a new single out and another on the way, so that's all people talk to me about nowadays.

And I'm slowly getting drunk at a Halloween party dressed as Elton John. Surprisingly, though this is the most time I've gone not thinking about Annie. But, then I remember that we talked about doing Halloween together and she was gonna be David Bowie. I keep drinking to forget and, if I play my cards right, I won't remember anything that's happened tonight.

It's about 3 am, or at least it was last time I checked, when I stumble my way through the crowd of people to a corridor in the back of the room. I'm thinking about Annie again.

I pull out my phone and scroll to pictures I have saved from June 4th. Apparently, Solana does their fireworks a month early since there's a burn ban in July. She bought a bunch of disposable cameras for all of us to use because she wanted to take pictures of the fireworks. But, my favorite one I have is her admiring them.

"Where the hell are you taking me? The fireworks are starting soon." I ask as I follow her down a boardwalk that looks like it hasn't been attended to in ages. The rest of the group is already drunker than the day is long, so they didn't even notice when she pulled me away.

"I know. We're getting the best seat in the house!" She says and plops down with her feet hanging over the edge of the pier, "Come on!" She pats the 

I take a seat next to her. I've only been here for almost a month and I've already fallen head over heels for this girl, but she didn't know that. I wanted to tell her so badly, that she's all I can think about, that the only song I've written so far are about her. But, I can't, that'd be selfish. Would it be so bad, though?

"Annie, I-" I start.

"Shhh. They're about to start." She interrupts me.

"...you need to hear them?" I laugh.

"Shut up, it's all part of the experience." She laughs, too. She glances at me, but her eyes quickly dart back to the sky, not wanting to miss a thing, "I used to be so scared of the sound of them when I was little, so my mom used to bring me ear plugs just so I could see them. Now, they're my favorite part of the summer."

"I like that."

"Well, second favorite." She continues.

"What's the first?" I ask.

She fully turns to me with a devious look that could've made me melt, "That's a story for another day, my friend."

Before I could say anything else, I hear a bang in the sky followed by a bright flash of light. A smile grows on her face and soon, so does mine.

She pulls out a disposable camera that she brought with her and takes a picture, "These pictures are gonna look like shit, I just know it."

"Let me see." I say and she hands the camera to me. Instead of pointing it at the sky, I aim it at her and snap a picture. 

"What are you doing?" She laughs, "That's supposed to be for the fireworks."

"Relax, it'll be a good picture."

"Okay, fine." She says and takes the camera out of my hands. She quickly takes a picture of me. I laugh as I try to wrestle it out from her grasp. She cackles and plays keep away.