Chapter 6 - Firsts

Alex

I wiped my sweaty hands on my jeans before picking up the phone to call my parents. I wanted to speak to them before I left for the weekend with Chris. They were hosting a Diwali party this weekend and if I didn't call; I knew they would call to wish me Happy Diwali. And if I wasn't home and one of my roommates answered, God only knows what they would say. Chris and I were spending the night at a hotel in Boston tonight. It would be our first time being together, it would be our first time period. The last thing I wanted to do was have sex for the first time and then call my parents.

I took a deep breath and looked over at my duffel bag packed for the weekend. It contained my clothes plus a box of condoms. I was so nervous, but at least prepared.

I called my parents' home phone; they answered it after three rings. "Hello."

"Hey Arjun, what are you doing home?" I asked.

"What do you think I'm doing home, it's Diwali weekend where else would I be?" Arjun asked sarcastically. I'd caught him in a bad mood.

"Oh yes, you're home for the food."

"No, he's home trying to show off to a girl and might I add doing a horrible job of it," my dad responded on the other line.

"Dad, what are you doing on the phone?" Arjun asked.

"Beta, it is my house, so I picked up the phone."

"Wait a second, you let Arjun bring a girl home, like to the house?"

"Yeah, and we've already given away your room to her."

"She's staying in my room?" I asked surprised.

"Alex don't act so surprised, we've never stopped you from bringing a girl home," my mom said.

"What is the whole family on the phone," Arjun asked, frustrated, even though I should be the one frustrated.

"You never said I could bring a girl home!" Surprised at the freedom Arjun had.

"You never asked," my mom responded.

"And Arjun asked?" I questioned.

"I asked," he said, irritated with my entire family.

"So little Arjun has a girlfriend," I teased. He had a girlfriend within two months of starting college and it had taken me two years.

"She's not his girlfriend yet," my dad chimed in. "This is part of his plan for courting her," my dad teased.

I laughed feeling a little better, "Wait, let me get this straight, part of your courtship is bringing a girl home to meet our parents before you ask her out."

"Hey, she was homesick!" he said defensively.

"I'm sure there are other ways to comfort a woman," I said thinking about where I would be in two hours. Yes, there were definitely better ways to comfort a woman.

"That's rich coming from you lover boy, have you got that girl to even notice you or are you still trying to fake being a genius to impress Ms. Smarty Pants."

"Hey, who told you that?" I asked irked with Arjun.

"I called your room and Ed answered. According to them you're whipped, and you guys aren't even dating."

"For your information, Christina and I are dating." And it's serious.

"Yeah and how long did that take you?"

"Oh god, boys! Can you stop this? This is not how I want to spend my Diwali hearing you two bicker," my mom said, irritated with both of us.

"Helen, I told you we should have tried for a daughter. This house would have been so much more peaceful with a daughter," my dad repeated for the millionth time. In his opinion, a daughter would have made our family much better.