Chapter 17 - Graduation

Alex June 1991

My mom bustled around my apartment, making sure there was food and drink for everyone. My mom the quintessential hostess thought it would be a good idea for all the parents of my friends to meet each other since we'd successfully completed four years at MIT. Ed and Sam, my roommates, had begrudgingly agreed because my mom had asked them directly and they didn't know how to say no to her.

Our original plan was after graduation we would dine with our respective families and then convince them to return to their hotel so we would go out once last time. So much for the best laid out plans.

My mom invited Chris's parents and a few of my friends' families. It was my last night at MIT and I was spending it dressed in slacks and a button-down shirt after a long day of graduation and a commencement speaker I'd never heard of before this afternoon. This was not how I wanted to spend my last night.

Everyone had arrived, and my dad, the supportive co-host, poured drinks for everyone.

Chris pulled me aside to my room. "How long do you think this will last?"

"I have no idea, judging from the amount of alcohol it could last a couple of days," I joked.

Chris pouted, "We only have a few days before you go on your trip; I was hoping to have more time alone with you."

"I wish you were coming," I said as I pulled her into me and hugged her close.

"I know, but I have student loans that I need to repay."

"I would have helped you pay for the trip." I was lucky my parents had paid for college.

"I don't want your help," Chris reiterated to me as she had the first time, I'd suggested it. She was proud she had put herself through school on her own.

"Plus, I'm not sure Ed and Sam would have been too thrilled if I'd come along." I sighed; I couldn't deny it. She was right.

"Enjoy your trip and take lots of pictures so I can live vicariously through you," Chris said and then kissed me. "I have a gift for you," she pulled out several Lonely Planet books to the countries in Europe Ed, Sam and I would visit, "- something tells me none of you have planned this out."

"These are great. We were planning on going to the bookstore tomorrow."

"Uh huh, you were."

"Yeah, we were going to get guidebooks before the trip."

Chris still didn't believe me. "Now you don't have to."

I kissed Chris. "We should get back before everyone wonders where we are."

"Make everyone go away," Chris whispered in my ear before we entered the living room.

I squeezed her hand before heading to check on my parents.

My parents were chatting with Christina's parents, Lawrence and Virginia, when I joined them mid conversation.

"Your ears must be burning, we were just speaking of you," Virginia said.

"Oh no, I hope it's all positive." I enjoyed Chris's parents; they were very nice and welcoming whenever I met them.

"It's all positive. I was complimenting your parents on what a wonderful job they've done raising you, Alexander. You are always such a gentleman when you come to visit us. Chris is lucky to have found you."

I felt embarrassed from Virginia's praise. I avoided her gaze and looked over at my mom.

My mom's lips tightened into a thin line and she took a moment before responding, "That's nice of you to say. We hope Chris will visit us more so we get to know her as well as you know my son."