Chapter 29 - Thanksgiving

Anjali – November 1994

"Hello," I said, running to the phone after the sixth ring.

"Hey Anjali, thank god your home!" Karthik said relieved to hear my voice.

"I just walked in. What's up?"

"I did it," he said.

"You did what? Did you have an exam? A dissection? Did I forget something important?" I asked, confused.

"I told my parents about you," Karthik whispered.

"How did it go?"

"How do you think it went?" Karthik retorted.

"Karthik, if I knew how it went do you think I'd be asking you," I said trying to stay calm.

"They went ballistic."

"Are you exaggerating?"

"Nope. They want me to come home for thanksgiving to talk this over, but I told them I can't because I'm meeting your family."

I took deep breaths. He had finally told his parents about me. Which meant I had to take him home for thanksgiving since Diwali was over.

"Okay," I said, "It will be okay. They're just in shock."

"Anjali, sweetheart, you don't understand. They've had my entire life planned out since I was born. They decided long ago where I'd go to school, what activities I should be do, where I should volunteer, and that their oldest son would be a doctor and then he will marry the woman of their choice. I've let them lead me until now. Shock doesn't even explain it."

"Then, what can I do to help?" I asked, lost.

"Nothing. I'll meet your parents at Thanksgiving, so my parents know I'm serious."

"Are you sure there's nothing else I should do? Should I call your parents?"

"No, not now, it's too soon. Let's give it more time to sink in," Karthik paused and was quiet for a long time. "I'm sorry Anjali you have to go through this. I hoped they'd shock me and handle this well. Looks like my prayers went unanswered."

"Karthik, they will come around; like you said, they just need time."

"Thanks Anjali. It's been an exhausting day, I need sleep. Is it okay if we talk more tomorrow?"

"Goodnight. I love you."

"I love you too."

I hung up the phone and stared at it as I let it all sink in.

And then I did what I always do, I called Arjun.

"Hello," a cranky Arjun answered.

"You and Alex need to save me and come home with me for Thanksgiving!"

"We're coming to your place for Thanksgiving, where else would we go? What are we saving you from?" Arjun asked.

"Well, Karthik called, and..."

"And what Anjali?" Arjun asked.

"He did it!"

"He did what?" Arjun asked, confused.

"He told his parents!" I screamed.

"What does this have to do with Thanksgiving?"

"Well, I told him I wasn't introducing him to my parents until his parents knew about me and now that they know about me, he's coming home with me for Thanksgiving."