Chapter 14 - Interviews

Alex – October 1990

I dialed Arjun's number and hoped he'd be in his room. It was 8pm his time but if I waited any longer, I'd be asleep. I wanted to share my good news with him first. All the bickering over the summer made me wonder if I wasn't being a good enough brother to Arjun. Sometimes I felt Arjun was mad at me for something.

"Hello," Arjun answered.

"Hey, it's me Amar."

"Hi," Arjun said again, but surprised.

"How are you?" I asked before I told him about my news.

"I'm good. How are you doing? How are the interviews going?"

"They went well. That's why I'm calling you. I have several offers and I wanted you to be the first to know."

"You do? You haven't called mom or dad?"

"No, and I haven't even told Christina either. You're the first one I called."

"Wow, thanks Amar. How are you going to decide which offer to take?"

"I have an offer at the same firm as Christina but I'm taking a competitor's offer because I don't think it's a good idea if we work at the same firm."

"Why not? I mean, if you like the firm, why not work together? You're going into Investment Banking because of Chris, anyway. Or are you worried if you break-up it would be awkward?"

"I hadn't thought of that. Chris is competitive, and I don't think it would be good for us if we're competing against each other for the same positions. She's surprised that I received as many offers as her and I never even interned at an Investment Bank. She calls it the male advantage."

"Is that true? Do you have that much more of an advantage?" Arjun asked.

"I'm surprised I received these many offers. Maybe she's right. I didn't even try while she's been planning for this since high school."

"I'm thrilled for you, Amar. You're smart, that's what the recruiters noticed. You'll pick up the skills for the job even if you don't have any experience. Dad's company was disappointed you didn't accept their offer. Dad said you were one of the best interns they've ever had. If investment banking doesn't work out, you know you can always work at Dad's company."

"Yeah that would have been cool, and I'd be working in much better weather. Maybe they'll let me cover technology so I can find excuses to fly home."

"It would be great to see you more. You haven't come visit me."

"I'd like that. The first opportunity I get I'll come visit you and then I can meet your Shakuntala. Speaking of which, how are things going on that front?"

I heard Arjun sigh on the other line. "They're going great. We're dating. I know it took me a while, but we are a couple. A real couple. Although it is new, and we've only been on a few dates. Speaking of which how do you come up with creative dates? Do you have any suggestions? What did you do with Chris in the beginning?"

"A lot has changed since we last spoke. I'm thrilled for your Arjun. I'm glad you and Anjali are finally together. You don't always have to plan everything, let her plan some of your dates too or let her tell you what she wants to do."

"I know, but I want to plan the dates. I've grown up here and I should know of cooler places to take her."

"What about dancing?" I suggested since I remembered they were both on the Bollywood dance team.

"Really Amar? That was the first date, give me some credit."

"I'm assuming you've already gone to the movies since that's an easy one."

"Yes, we have. I borrowed Dad's car and took her to a Hindi movie. I took her to see Agneepath with Amitabh Bachchan. Little did I know she loves Amitabh Bachchan, and she ignored me during the movie, and we watched the entire three-hour movie! I don't get the love affair with the angry man character he always plays."

"Is that still playing in the theaters? I saw it at the beginning of the year with the Indian Club here at school."

"Yes, it's back in the theaters due to popular demand. Anjali had already seen it but insisted on sitting for the whole movie again."

"Well, make a note to yourself not to take her to another movie with Mr. Bachchan in it. Since she likes Indian men take her to an American movie, so she won't drool over the hero."

"Good point. Although she's not good at sharing candy either. This dating thing is hard. It was easier when we were friends everything happened naturally. Now, I feel compelled to plan everything and make it romantic. I took her to play miniature golf, but she was disappointed."

"Why? That sounds romantic," I asked surprised. Arjun seemed so thoughtful in planning out their dates.

"I said we were going golfing, and she assumed it was to play real golf. Her best friend Katherine's dad always takes them to the driving range, but she's never played eighteen holes of golf and she really wants to play. She was nice about it when she found out it was just put-put, but I sensed the disappointment."

"Did you at least let her win?" I asked wondering if she had a competitive streak like Chris.

"That wasn't necessary," Arjun said, a little dejected.

It took me a moment to process that Anjali had beat him fair and square. Arjun was never very good with eye hand coordination.

"She told me if I want to be a doctor, I should learn to play golf. Do you think that's true?"

"I'm sure not every doctor plays golf," I said as I imagined Arjun causing unnecessary harm to the other golfers on the course. That would be one way to get patients.

"Where should I take Anjali next?"

"Take her to SF and do all the touristy things, that could be romantic. I took Chris this summer, and she enjoyed walking around the city and seeing the different neighborhoods."

"That's a great idea! We could do the hop on hop off bus and see the whole city and I won't have to borrow Dad's car again. Where did you go for lunch?"

"We went to Tommaso's. Chris loves Italian food. You should take Anjali to a restaurant with her favorite cuisine."

"Tommaso's works for us. Anjali likes everything like me. We never have a problem finding a place to eat. Since it was a hit with you and Chris, I'll take Anjali there, too."

"Glad I could help, but it's getting late here, and I have an early class tomorrow."

"Thanks, Amar. Thanks for telling me first about your job and for the dating advice."

"Let me know how your date goes," I said before we said our goodbyes.

I sat staring at the phone after hanging up. Whoever Anjali was, she had my parents and Arjun smitten. I hadn't met or even seen a picture of her, but I knew she was from New Jersey, she was as beautiful as the mythical Shakuntala; she loved camping; she slept in my room when she was at my house; she wanted to learn to golf, she could match my brother on the dance floor, and she loved Amitabh Bachchan. What a strange assortment of things to know about someone you'd never met. Would I ever meet her, or would Arjun and her love affair be over before I got the chance?