intramurals

the commemoration of the school's foundation day is the favourite annual event of every student. it is a week-long celebration. all classes are suspended to give way to the programs.

the intramural activities are highlights of the celebration. but above all the games being held, the climax of the sports activity is the basketball competition.

although the season had started two months ago, the finals always happen during the foundation week, a reason every game is a big event. the university is coming to a stop as spectators are swarming into the stadium like bees during each game.

you love watching but you avoid days when simon's team gets to play. you just hate it when he shows off. you even hate those girls screaming for his attention.

but just as every rule has an exception, for you, it would be today.

having no classes for a week meant not seeing irene too. the last conversation you had with her was more than a month ago, when she warned you about her boyfriend. you know she'd be here to support him so you took that chance to get a glimpse of her.

it was easy for you to enjoy the game because simon wasn't part of the starting lineup. byulyi also picked a strategic spot for you to easily get a glimpse of irene across the court.

it would have been perfect if the creature didn't get his chance to play, but the coach let him in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter.

and just as you thought, it was an opportunity for simon to show off. he was lucky to get a successful hoop from the three-point line after his sixth attempt--yup, sixth attempt.

it's no big deal for the team as their score was way ahead of the opponent. however, what he did next made the crowd go wild.

feeling victorious, simon proudly raised his right hand and pointed at irene, showing everyone that the shot was for her. the crowd turned their attention to the blushing girl who's now hiding behind yongsun's shoulder.

what's weird is you still find her perfectly cute even though you're feeling jealous now. how you wish those smiles were meant for you.

it's been a week now since your last class together. although you don't get to talk normally, seeing her subtle smiles at you during classes and those quick eye contacts are assuring you you're still close, that she's just near.

but moments like this, it's different. she's making you feel you're just someone she can easily forget.

"i don't like him," byulyi muttered.

you didn't take your eyes away from the scene, looking at how irene's friends are teasing her for what her boyfriend just did.

"me too."

"jeez. do you think she's serious about him?"

you shrugged.

byulyi turned her attention back to the court. "tsk. that chick will be a waste..."

you kept silent as you follow simon with your eyes, envying him for getting the girl of your dreams for his girlfriend.

"but you know, dude, i think there is something..." byulyi trailed off, totally getting your attention. "do you remember what happened at my birthday party?"

you smiled a little at that, feeling butterflies in your stomach at the memory of it. "we were drunk, dude. she wouldn't have kissed me if she's sober."

"no. i wasn't pertaining to the game. i'm thinking of the dance floor."

"dance floor?"

"do you still remember what you did there?"