confessions

"what did you say?"

it seems to have worked, because irene stopped walking, turning to you immediately with a concerned look.

you approached her. "that... that necklace is mine."

irene looked sceptic. "and where did you get that?"

"i bought it last year with a pair," you said, not wanting to hide it any longer. "and you have the other half of that."

she steps back, bringing a hand to her chest. "s-so you're the one...?"

you nodded, looking down. "i slipped it into your locker as a birthday gift."

"why?"

"because i..." you paused, eyeing her first and looking down again. "i like you..."

there was a short silence on her end before she said, "w-what...?"

"i said it's because i like you."

she inhales and looks away. "don't fucking lie to me now, seulgi."

her reaction surprised you. "i'm not lying. why would i lie about something like this?"

"are you serious?"

"i am, okay? i am. i like you."

irene sighs and looks around. then she grabs your hand to drag you into the nearest empty classroom in the area.

"let's talk here," she said, closing and locking the door. "i don't want another trouble if simon or one of his friends sees us."

you felt awkward the moment you realise you are alone with irene inside the empty classroom. it was easier to tell her your feelings earlier because you were outside, and there were white noises in the background. unlike here in the classroom that's so empty and silent, irene's voice even echoes through the walls.

you can sense she's feeling awkward to because she lets go of you and settles to sit on the teacher's table.

"so, you were saying...?" she said, folding her arms over her chest.

you cleared your throat, feeling embarrassed of confessing repeatedly, not sure if she'll dump you or not.

"well, like i said, i like you..." you said.

"i said don't lie to me, seulgi," she said, still looking upset. "how am i supposed to believe that when you're caring so much for hyojung?"

"hyojung is my friend, okay? she saved me and byulyi. i was feeling guilty putting her up for that."

"do you like her?"

"no."

"i don't need another bullshit now, seulgi. so, just tell me the truth."

"c'mon..." you flail your arms. "how many times should i tell you it's you i like? and it's not just like. it's more than that." you shook your head slowly while gathering up your courage. "i... i'm in love with you..."

you can tell she held her breath after hearing your words. she stares at you, mouth partly opened.

"since when?" she asked softly.

"for two years now."

"what? two years!?"

"y-yeah..."

"then why didn't you tell me?"

"huh? why would i tell you?"

"because i needed to know!"

"huh? why do you need to know?" you asked. "i couldn't tell you. i was afraid you'd reject me. you barely notice me before. we never talk, remember?"