Chapter 8: Party Fever

A couple of weeks had gone by, and everything was going smoothly

A couple of weeks had gone by, and everything was going smoothly. Classes were a breeze, I had Julian in my psych class which was pretty distracting if we were being honest. Chase and I had been doing really well, but at times it got kind of hard to see each other since football did get more intense as the season went on. He became one of the captains, and he was preparing himself for the booster dinner with Cartia's father and the other captains. I knew we'd be fine, at least that's what I told myself.

Today was Saturday, which meant today was the debut of the new dance team. The girls on the team were really sweet, and helped me a lot. Practicing everyday kept my dance moves in check, which was odd to me since I was a volleyball player before. We were performing a mash up of songs, and we had just gotten our uniforms which was pretty exciting! They were very short, as Julian had mentioned. Something told me Chase would have mixed emotions over it, but the moody boy would have to deal with it. 

The game started in about an hour and a half, but the cheer team, dance team, and obviously the football team had to be here early to warm up. So far, it was just the cheer and dance team out in the sidelines, the boys were probably catching up on the opponent  films. Before I knew it, Cartia was standing before me. Her eyes scanning my appearance, a clear look of distaste on her face. 

"Did you need something?" I asked, confused. From what Chase had mentioned she was a nice girl, maybe she had a bad day and wanted to chat with me?

"Not from you, but I do have something to ask you.." I stayed silent letting her speak, her snarky tone confusing me. "Are you that insecure with your relationship with Chase, that you had to join the dance team and watch over him? I mean, it seems like you're threatened by me!"

I laughed, more for my sake than hers. She really had the nerve to come at me sideways. I knew she was too good to be true, she wanted my boyfriend. Something told me that nothing was going to stop her.

"No, I'm not 'insecure.' Why I joined the team is none of your business, and frankly you being in front of me really assures me that I shouldn't be worried at all, now should we get onto the field? Or are you going to continue to patronize me with your presence?" 

Cartia glared at me, "Just know, one of these days he's going to realize you're the only person weighing him down and I am the only person that's going to help him succeed."

Her words sliced through my body. As much as I hated to admit it, my insecurities peaked through me and I hated that Cartia could see that. She looked satisfied with herself and began walking away. "Oh and by the way, I think your uniform is too tight on you. Your fat is peaking out, how disgusting." 

A few girls on her team snickered at me, and I wanted to bury myself in a hole. I had a feeling this entire idea was a mistake, and I should've never joined the team in the first place. So much for girls supporting girls huh? Deep down, I knew I was always going to be the insecure girl that got pushed around in Minnesota. As much as I tried to put on a front, girls like Cartia would always have an effect on me.