Chapter 29: Manifestation Nation

If there was one thing I seemed to keep manifesting into my life, it was bad luck

If there was one thing I seemed to keep manifesting into my life, it was bad luck. We weren't even half way through the night and I was in the most uncomfortable position possible. I was with my current fake boyfriend seated right next to my ex boyfriend who was being manipulated by my current boyfriend's family. In front of me was my deadbeat dad who had barely decided to get in contact with me after a decade of abandoning my mom and I. I was basically living a double life to try and get the love of my life free from a stupid contract he was so blind to sign! To top it all of this chicken being served was dryer than the Sahara dessert. Fucking fantastic. 

"I can not believe Valentin Kendrick is your dad! How come this never came up?" Beck went on, praising my dad who was shifting uncomfortably in his seat.

I shot Beck a tight smile and completely avoided the gaze my father had set on me, "I guess I'm private."

Apparently my father was incredibly wealthy and was managing a successful company and was close family friends with the Addeo's. This was all getting to be way too much as Beck chatted animatedly with Valentin about how he had never mentioned me which took a stab right to the heart. I couldn't even bear to look at Valentin's wife who was sending me looks of pity mixed with shock. It was almost as if I wished he had never reached out to me. 

"I'm gonna use the restroom." I said excusing myself. 

I wasn't sure what was more disappointing, the fact that my dad was rich and never spared a single dime to me or that dinner hadn't even been served yet. I walked around the Addeo's home, hoping to find the office instead of the bathroom. Nothing looked familiar so I found myself opening every door until I found one that was kept locked. This had to be the office, there was no way Mr. Addeo would keep his office open for anyone to just walk in. Now, the only problem was how the hell I was going to open this door up. 

Jiggling it one more time and failing to open it, I ended up giving up for now. The long hallway was giving me a weird vibe and I kept feeling watched. I shook off the internal feeling and decided it would be better if I went back into the dining hall before anyone thought about finding me.  Perhaps, I could come back and solve this issue. 

Before I got to the railing, I felt a warm rough hand circle my arm and push me into a dark room. Without a second thought, I grabbed the hand and twisted it until I heard a cry of pain. "Shit, Ava. It's me." 

Me? Who the hell..

I let go of the hand and reached for the light switch. The room lit up revealing none other than Chase. Was I surprised? No. 

"Don't do that!" I scolded before lightly hitting his shoulder. 

Chase rubbed his arm soothingly before giving me a dumbstruck look, "How else was I meant to get you alone?"

I wasn't going to tell him but if he had asked I would always follow him. "True, well.. what do you want?"

Chase sat down on a velvet red armchair before looking up at me with his soft blue eyes, "I wanted to see if you were okay."