Chapter 14: Keep Pretending

It was two days before the big event, and I was feeling very nervous

It was two days before the big event, and I was feeling very nervous. I knew everything, yet I had no clue as to why I was ignoring it. After all, it was just a minor conversation he had with Cartia. I knew he wouldn't jeopardize our relationship over this silly situation. I lied in bed staring at the beautiful gown I had purchased the day I was with Chase. The beautiful creme satin dress was hung up by my mirror. It was beautiful and the way it sculpted my body was sure to have his entire attention. He hadn't seen the dress yet, I wanted to surprise him.

I was excited to coordinate with Chase, because in other words this would be like a formal dance. He and I never attended such a formal event together, and this would be perfect practice for when he made it into the NFL and we would appear together. It sounded insane to think so far into the future, but when I thought about Chase and my future he was in every single picture of it.

"When are you going to stop pretending Ava?" Arabella asked.

She sat upright from her bed and stared at me worried. "It's not pretending, it's just holding back the truth."

"And if Cartia gets him? What if he suddenly changes his mind and goes to the event with her?" 

"He won't! Okay? I know him and he wouldn't just do that to me." I snapped.

She immediately backed down and stayed quiet, "I'm sorry for snapping on you." 

She waved me off, "It's fine, I get it. I may not know too much about love and whatnot but I do know he shouldn't be hiding this from you."

I thought about it for a second and I wanted to desperately agree with her, but I couldn't. In a way, if I actually acknowledged what was going on I would realize Chase and I weren't close at all. For now, I would live my dream in becoming delusional. "Can we please change this subject before I have a panic attack?"

"Fine, let's talk about you doing more shoots with me." Arabella said smirking.

I groaned, "That was a one time thing, I don't think I would be fit for that life."

"And why do you think that? Didn't you see that fat check you got?"

"It's not the check, it's just I see how busy you always are and you barely have time for your studies. Let alone other things." I reasoned.

Arabella sighed, "So basically you're saying you won't have time for Chase?"

How the hell did she know that was my reasoning. With Chase being at football all the time, we barely even got to hang out like old times. Plus, if I started doing shoots with Arabella that would mean I would never get to see him. Chase was way more important to me than any modeling job.

"I take your silence as an answer then." Arabella said before returning her attention back onto her phone. 

I decided to forget about Arabella and her model shoots, and daydream about the formal event with Chase. I kept picturing how good we would look matching our colors, and how good he would look in his suit. Seeing Chase in a suit was very rare, the only time I got to see him was during his games. But of course that was only for about ten minutes because he had to go in quick. The amount of excitement I was feeling was incredible, no one could take that away from me. 

"You know what, let's go out." I told Arabella in excitement. 

***

"Okay, so you're telling me Cartia wants you to take her to the dinner, but you already told Ava you were going with her?" Julian asked me

"Yes! I don't know what to do man." I said to him. 

Julian and I decided to go on a run to get my mind off of things. I needed advice on what to do in this situation, and frankly I was so lost. Cartia had easily become one of my closest friend besides Julian, and well, Ava was the love of my life.  It was just hard for me, well, because I knew going with Cartia would probably open up so many doors for me. I also felt bad because it felt like I was using her, but Cartia had basically encouraged it.

"Please don't tell me you're considering it." Julian asked stopping his run. 

I turned around and shamefully looked down, "I, I'm not really confused."

Julian widened his eyes, "Woah, what are you saying right now?" 

"Cartia has just been pointing a few things out to me, and frankly I think Ava is losing feelings for me."

"Dude, are you stupid?! That girl is crazy about you!" Julian said shaking me slightly. 

"See, I know! But, Cartia kept telling me about how Mateo and Ava flirt, and I've seen it." I felt anger rise in my body just thinking about her and Mateo together. Was I a fool for not realizing it sooner.

"Cartia this, Cartia that. Dude, don't listen to whatever she's even saying to you because something tells me she's doing it to get you away from Ava." Julian reasoned, getting back up and jogging ahead of me.

I caught up to him, "She's not like that."

Julian rolled his eyes, "Whatever, you know if you take Cartia instead it might be endgame."

"It won't be, Ava would understand either way."

"She's been putting up with all of this shit man. You never know when she's gonna break, okay?" 

The word endgame kept replaying in my head. There's no way this would even happen, even if what Cartia was saying was true, I don't think Ava would just end it with me. We loved each other way too much for any of that to slightly happen. However, I was still having some mixed feelings. Just thinking about Mateo and Ava getting closer and him trying to take her from me made me mad. I don't know how much I could take of their friendship, if I was being honest.

"She's not like that, I know my girl." I said getting a little too upset. Julian surrendered and we both continued jogging quietly. 

However, a part of me knew considering Cartia's offer would effect everything. But maybe there was a way, I could do both.

***

A/N... 

Tee-Hee... some of ya'll are about to be real mad at me...