Hard Goodbyes

"When you've been
in life-threatening situations,
you become aware
that life is not for ever.
"
Curtis Jackson

"I've had to fight our kind before," Jasper's voice reverberates through the Cullens garage, his family and Bella turning to where he and Elle sit on the counter, Elle's tired head resting on his shoulder, as he continues, "Not easy to kill."

"But not impossible," Emmett adds, "We'll tear him apart and burn the pieces."

Rosalie sits on the other side of Elle as Carlisle states, "I don't relish the thought of killing another creature; even a sadistic one like James."

"What if he kills one of us first?" Rosalie asks as she glances between a half-asleep Elle and her adoptive family.

"I'll run Bella and Elle south," Edward declares, "you lead the tracker away from here."

"No, Edward," Carlisle rejects the idea, "James knows you'd never leave Bella, so he'll follow you."

"I'll go with Elle and Bella," Alice suggests, "Jasper and I will drive them south."

"James knows Jasper wouldn't leave Elle," Carlisle reminds Alice, "just as Edward wouldn't leave Bella. Even if Edward and Jasper were to separate, James would realise one of them is with Elle and Bella."

Jasper glances down at the girl resting her head on his shoulder, the sound of The Beatles keeping her calm.

He wants so desperately to go with Elle; to stay with and protect her, but he knows Carlisle is right.

"Okay," Alice nods, "I'll drive them south, and keep them safe."

Edward nods, "Rosalie, Esme, could you put their coats on so the tracker will pick up their scent?"

Rosalie pokes Elle's side, and motions for her to take her coat off.

Pulling her coat off, Elle hands the article of clothing to Rosalie, who takes it without hesitation.

As soon as the coat is no longer in Elle's possession, the vampires in the room all eye it with confusion, which doesn't go unnoticed by the Swan twins.

"Why are you all looking at my coat like it's grown legs?"

"Has Bella worn it recently?" Rosalie asks her, Bella and Elle shaking their heads in response, their eyebrows furrowed as they look between the coat and the vampires.

"There's something wrong with the scent," Elle guesses, "isn't there?"

"I wouldn't say wrong," Carlisle intervenes, "Just surprising. It's different than when you were wearing it; when the coat was still on your person, it's scent was predominantly vampiric, but now, it's similar to Bella's scent, with vampiric undertones."

"What if that's what Laurent meant when he said it would be difficult, even for a tracker like James?" Elle hypothesises, "My hearing aid would be like my coat, where my scent differs from it when it isn't on my person..."

"Something with your scent doesn't smell exactly like you," Jasper realises, continuing Elle's thoughts, "The difference would make tracking you hard."

"And make tracking any scent trails left by someone else wearing my coat easier!" Elle exclaims as she jumps off the counter.

Rosalie shrugs the human's coat on, Esme doing the same with Bella's while Alice heads upstairs to pack herself a bag.

"Jazz," Elle starts softly, the blond vampire turning to meet her gaze before she continues, "Can I have a moment?"

Jasper nods, and follows the brunette back into the house, away from everyone else.