Volturi Vexation

"There are certain mortal moments
and minutes that matter.
Certain hinge points
in the history of each human.
Some seconds are so decisive
they shrink the soul,
while others are spent,
so as to stretch the soul.
"
Neal A. Maxwell

"Shall we, Jane?"

This insinuated order prompts the blonde vampire to turn her gaze from Aro to Bella, her lips quirking up into a small smile at the thought of causing pain—and Edward is quick to read this and try rushing towards her.

"Pain," Jane says plainly, her crimson eyes setting on Edward.

The Cullen boy comes to a sudden stop, his face contorting from desperate anger to an expression of extreme pain, his veins becoming easily visible as his back arches in pain, and he eventually collapses while Jasper holds Elle in place.

When Belle makes to move towards her boyfriend, Jane's brother, Alec, intercepts her, holding her back while Alice comforts him.

"Stop hurting him!" Elle exclaims loudly, Bella's desperate exclamations being drowned out by her younger twin's, "Leave him alone, assholes! Just stop it, you douche-canoes!"

Jane's illusionary-pain-inducing stare falters at the last word, and the members of the Volturi turn their gazes to the human girl.

"Douche-canoes?" Aro questions with an amused smile, "Interesting choice of words. Jane?"

Aro turns his gaze back to the blonde guard-member, and he gestures at Bella with his head as he prompts, "Go ahead, my dear."

"This may hurt just a little," Jane remarks before she stares intently at the older Swan, her crimson eyes unblinking as she tries to induce the illusionary pain she's known for—but it is to no avail, and the human still stands with a grimace, waiting for the pain to hit.

A maniacal laugh escapes the leader of the Volturi, and his clap stops Jane from rushing at Bella as he says, "Remarkable. And now, for Elle."

Jasper makes a move to shield his girlfriend, but Elle grabs his hand and stops him in place, "It's okay, Jazz. Don't do anything stupid, alright? Everything will work out just the way it's supposed to."

The Hale boy nods, not releasing her hand as she turns to face Jane with a daring gleam in her hazel-brown eyes.

"Hit me with your best shot," Elle states decisively, her lips quirking up slightly as she uses the lyrics from Hit Me With Your Best Shot by Pat Benatar, "Fire away."

Bella's eyebrows shoot up at her twin's calm behaviour, "Seriously, Elle?"

"Okay—maybe don't hit me with your best shot," the younger Swan amends while bobbing her head side to side, not really wishing to hurt the blonde too much with her reflection, "But do go on ahead and fire away."

"Go ahead, Jane," Aro prompts, the smile unwavering as he waits for the results of this 'experiment' with great anticipation.

Jane nods, her gaze turning to the most interesting human she's come across—who gazes back with both daring defiance and slight-worry—and glancing over her calculatingly.

Aro watches with unrivalled glee as Jane hardens her gaze into a steely stare, and subsequently flinches, her back arching in pain as her illusionary pain is reflected back onto her and she suffers the short-lived pain she usually induces in others for much longer.

When Jane drops to the floor, Elle's expression and heart drop along with it, and the brunette is held from running towards the fallen blonde by Jasper.