Helping Hands

"I suppose that since most of our hurts
come through relationships
so will our healing,
and I know that grace
rarely makes sense for those
looking in from the outside.
"
Wm. Paul Young

There is something completely disconcerting in the sight of a teen girl with sunken-in cheeks, black bags beneath her eyes, and skin paler than that of a ghost.

But when that girl is your twin sister—well, it's more than disconcerting.

Every day that passes is a day Bella continues growing thinner, paler, sadder.
Every day that passes is a day Elle continues growing more worried, tired, doubtful.

No matter what she does, Elle can't get her twin to move from her room, sitting in a rocking chair and staring out the window at absolutely nothing.
Or from curled up on the couch, staring blankly at the TV.
Or away from the Cullens old table and to sit with her friends at lunch at school.

It has gotten beyond unhealthy.

Nonetheless, all the youngest and oldest Swans can do is hope.
They hope Bella will start eating more.
They hope Bella will start going out more.
They hope Bella will smile every now and again.

They hope Bella will return to normal—as normal as she's ever been.

Elle finds herself unable to go out as often because of her concern for Bella, and the younger twin's friends notice.

Sam and Emily discuss their worry for her over every meal they share.
Jacob and Billy discuss both Swan twins, and what they're going through whenever there's a game on TV, or the kettle boils, or there's a drizzle outside.
Leah Clearwater tries asking her parents about the younger twin nonchalantly, wanting the girl to visit soon, while Seth pesters them every chance he gets.
The reservation is much quieter without Elle visiting.

Even Bella's friends wonder about the younger twin when they see her at school and when something reminds them of her.

When Eric hears the words 'eyes' and 'ears' he remembers meeting the twins for the first time, and the way Elle had been kind, immediately joking around with him.
He wonders if she manages to get Bella to crack a smile or laugh as she did with him that day.

Whenever Angela looks at her Psychology textbook, she remembers the periods she shared with Elle before and the easy conversation that happened.
She wonders if Elle and Bella ever talk about everything and nothing like they did.

When Mike spots his History textbook or gets hit by a ball, he remembers his first meeting with the Swan twins in gym class, and the conversations he and Elle shared in History.
He wonders if Elle is still helping awkward and clumsy Bella in social situations and if they talk about whatever is on their minds as he and Elle had every History lesson before.

Whenever Jessica is in a photo, she remembers the first time her irrational dislike of the younger Swan twin disappeared—how even though she'd never been anything but mean to her, Elle was nice and complimented her.
She wonders if Elle is still irritatingly, irrationally, and unconditionally warm and kind.

The Cullens notice a decline in calls, texts, and emails from the girl.

Jasper and Rosalie want to visit Elle and make sure she's okay, but Alice continuously comforts them in the knowledge that Elle will soon be back to normal.

Now, that is not to say the people of Forks and the Cullens don't wonder and worry about Bella.

However, Bella's disappearance had been sudden and complete—one day she spends the day at school with her friends as her socially awkward self, and the next she isolates herself from everyone, only leaving the house when necessary but keeping from socialising with anyone.