Descending Wolves

"Risk anything!
Care no more for the opinion of others.
Do the hardest thing on earth for you.
Act for yourself. Face the truth.
"
Katherine Mansfield

As soon as Sam's car comes to a standstill, Elle's window is being knocked on by a grinning Paul Lahote.

"Aw," Elle coos as she unbuckles her seat-belt, "Has someone been missing me?"

Paul laughs as the Swan girl opens the door, "If you were stuck with those guys for as long as I've been, you'd understand—they're impossibly annoying."

Sam watches in mild amusement as Paul embraces Elle tightly, her feet lifting from the ground as she giggles, "Yes, I can only imagine."

Inside Sam and Emily's house, Jacob's ears perk up at the sound of the younger Swan twin's giggling, "Is that...?"

Embry smirks at the Black boy, "Yeah, that's Elle. Yeah, she knows—has known longer than I have. She's actually the one that told Sam you were phasing after you ran off from the movie theatre."

"But I thought—"

"No one else was supposed to know?" Embry interrupts with a chuckle, remembering his and Paul's similar conversation after he shifted, "Yeah, well, she is dating a Cullen. Sam came across her, and she was calm enough to figure him out."

"I only figured out he was a shapeshifter," Elle interjects from Paul's back, "I didn't know who he was until Mr Black Wolf motioned to the bracelet Sam gave me on my birthday."

Jacob's eyes widen at Elle, and the Swan girl nearly laughs at his expression.

"Wait a second," Paul voices, turning his head towards the girl he carries on his back, "Did you call Sam 'Mr Black Wolf' when you saw him?"

"It was 'Mr Black Wolf, sir'," Sam corrects as he passes the Lahote boy and Swan girl.

Elle flushes, "I mean, what else are you going to call a ginormous jet black wolf you think is a Quileute shapeshifter you don't know the identity of yet?"

From his spot on the couch, Jared shrugs with a chuckle, "She's not wrong."

After patting Paul as a signal to put her down, Elle walks up to Jacob and smiles, "I now have longer hair than you."

Jacob snorts, "Of course, that's the first thing you say to me."

Tiptoeing, Elle throws her arms around the Black boy's neck and asks, "How are you doing, Jakey? Are you adjusting to everything alright?"

Returning the tight embrace, Jacob responds, "Yeah, I'm good. I'll never have to guess what sound you're using with your masking device again."

"Now there's no mystery," Elle sighs with faux-disappointment as she pulls away.

"There's always a mystery with you," Jacob retorts as Paul walks up behind the Swan girl.

The Lahote boy rests his chin on Elle's head and says, "Now, you're going to hear about some weird shit."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm going to tell you what I know about vampires and humans, and my experiences thus far," Elle states, "There's more to both vampires and humans than you guys originally think—and my explanations are superior to Sam's."

"Are you just going to let her diss you like that?" Jared asks the Alpha with a smile.

Before Sam can respond, Embry pipes up, "Even Sam can't refute the truth."

Elle bursts into laughter, her shaking body prompts Paul to whine, "Man, I was comfortable!"

✯✯✯