She's Gone

She jolted awake with a start, Alfred by her side.

"Relax, Miss Sevanna. Take a breath."

Sevy pushed herself into a seated position, white bandages wrapped around her midsection. 

"Lay down, Miss Sevanna. Don't push yourself." She refused to listen to Alfred's demands, ignoring the throb in her stomach as she slid off the cot. 

"They took him. They took him." She managed out, voice grating against the air. She stumbled, but she pulled on her silver outfit.

"No! Miss Sevanna, you are to stay right here. The others have gone after him, don't you worry about that."

"Did they find him yet?"

"Not yet, but they will."

"They're gonna be too late."  Sevanna hissed as she pulled the suit over her stomach, gulping in air. She blindly reached out for the pills by her cot, swallowing one to ease the pain. 

"Miss Sevanna, please, take care of yourself for once! Sit down, otherwise you might rip your organs out!"

"That is a little too graphic, Alfred." Sevy mused to nobody but herself, continuing to suit up. She grabbed her scythes, sheathing them, before taking the bottle of painkillers. 

Alfred was honestly in awe at her resilience and determination, at the fact she was willing to chase after her brother more injured than ever before just to save him.  Sometimes, he had to blink to remember that this wasn't some clone of her. This was the real Sevanna. 

One that put other's lives before her own.

"If you die out there chasing some false lead, it won't be any good to Damian or any of us." Alfred said, standing in her way. 

She clearly was in pain, the way she moved wasn't as fluidly as she did before, and she winced everytime she had to bend over. Alfred hovered by her side,ready to catch her if she fell. continuously trying to get her to rest.

"Miss Sevanna, please! They'll find him, you need not to worry!" He cried for the third time while she was getting on her bike equipment and grabbing a pair of guns. 

"No they won't. Do you know why? Because I know where Baldie would've taken him. I know what he wants from me. They- they don't know a single thing about this guy! They won't find him before it's too late!" Sevy snapped, before softening. "I need to do this, Alfred."

"No you don't. All this Baldie guy wants from you is your dead body." Alfred felt his throat close up. "I cannot let you waltz to your death. No, I will not allow it." 

Sevy was his granddaughter- he'd helped to raise her ever since her mother had left her at the Manor door. He remembered the stubborn little girl that'd always run away from a bath, the eight-year-old that took bullying into her own hands and left the bullies crying, the teenager that kept up with her brothers and helped cover for them whenever they did something stupid, the woman that was so kind and humble and perfect in every way before she went off to DC.

Alfred now realized that she wasn't perfect, oh no. She was never perfect.  She was stubborn, and hot-headed. She had scars all over her from missions around the world. She was a marvelous fighter, but sometimes lost herself in the heat of her fury.

 She was beautifully imperfect, the crime-fighting fed, one that cared not for her life. Her selflessness was her greatest gift and greatest curse.

Alfred just wished she put value to herself.

"Sevanna. Please. Don't go."

Sevy sighed, looking over at the old man, who was so genuinely terrified for her sake, and softened, realizing what he was thinking. She gently pulled him into a hug. Alfred accepted it, letting the shorter woman's arms wrap around his waist.