Chapter 2: Flashbacks, Fathers and Rainbows

”You’re ruining my life Shaun! You can’t tell me what to do anymore; I’m fifteen, not seven!” I screamed at my brother, I was riddled with emotion. He didn’t understand that I wasn’t seven years old anymore.

“You can’t just bully people like that Hazel, you don’t understand!” He thumped his hand down on the wooden kitchen table, making it shake violently from the impact.

“Well she’s a bitch; she made out with Tyler and lied about it. Because of her I had to break up with the love of my life!” I burst out in to tears, violently shaking as the memories of my boyfriend’s lips pressed to that blonde bimbo crossed through my mind.

“Keep your anger to yourself then, you can’t spit in somebody’s face and call them a slut, it’s rude.” Shaun’s face was filled with aggression as he paced around the room.

“Well she is a slut!” I wiped the tears from my eyes, trying to compose myself once more.

“Hazel stop it, who have you become?” he whispered just loud enough so that I could hear. “You don’t understand what bullying can do to somebody.”

My alarm clock beeped, breaking me out of my horrific dream; well actually it was more like a horrific memory, disguised as a dream. I pulled the covers off of my body and ran to the bathroom to splash water in my face as if it could take away the images of that night, the images that had been haunting my dreams every night for the last two years.

I got myself ready for school and made my way downstairs only to see that my mother was sitting in the exact same position that I left her last night, curled up in a ball on our navy blue, leather couches. “Mom,” I whispered in her ear, she jumped at the sound of my voice.

“Darling, please don’t do that again, you startled me.” She crinkled her eyebrows and the frown that she always wore was dragged down even more.

“Mom, are you going to be alright today, or do you need me to stay home?” I sat down on the carpeted floor next to the sofa and leaned my left arm on it.

“I should be fine honey; dad’s coming home from New York today.” She tried to fake an excited smile, but it looked so wrong and contorted on her face full of anguish. I instantly was on guard the second she said dad was coming home. That meant that he was done with his new model girlfriend in New York City and was coming back to mum to screw around with her feelings for a couple of days before taking off again to have yet another affair. I vowed to myself last time that I wouldn’t let him do that to her again.

“I’m not leaving you alone with that man,” I stated, eyes widened in fury.

“That man is your father, and I love him.” Her eyebrows were ruffled, and she had an expression on her face that made it seem as if she was having an internal debate with herself. My anger grew as I struggled to hold back tears, I couldn’t let that horrible man touch my mother ever again, I vowed that I wouldn’t.

“No mom, he’s a terrible, evil man, why can’t you see that? He doesn’t love you and you shouldn’t love him. Every time he goes away and he cheats on you, then when he comes back he does that stuff…” I trailed off, leaving the harsh words go unsaid. “He makes you feel dirty and then he leaves again and finds another girl to screw over, don’t let him do this to you again.” Sobs escaped my mouth and tears poured from my eyes as I said the last few words. That evil man was ruining mine and my mother’s life.

“I don’t believe that, he loves me Hazel, I know he does.” Tears slid down her cheeks as she spoke the words I never wanted to here come out of her mouth, about that horrible man.