Chapter 4: Pastel, Photographs and Hazzie

I sat on Ivy’s bed on Friday afternoon, it was currently four in the afternoon, and we were getting ready for Nick’s party at five. Ivy had instantly fallen in love with the bikini she tried on at American Apparel, and she was currently wearing it now, under her baggy white, transparent top and rainbow coloured mini denim shorts. I was wearing a long-sleeved black cardigan over my bikinis and white denim short shorts, I had also put a bunch of concealer on my wrist, to try and hide my scars I knew it would come off in the water but I would just deal with that later.

Ivy had created a whole stupid plan in her head about how she was gotten to make Nick fall completely and utterly in love with her without a doubt at the party. I told her she was being stupid, and she should just go with the flow but she wouldn’t listen to me and kept being stupid.

Ivy’s room was painted pastel purple, and was decorated in a bunch of different posters and photos. Some poster displayed photos of her favourite bands and singers like, One Direction, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Little Mix and an indie band from YouTube called Against the Current. She had photos splayed around the room of her and I at a various number of parties, a photo from Halloween a couple of years ago when we dressed up as sparkly unicorns and photos from homecomings, proms and birthday parties, they all showed the great memories that I shared with Ivy. Then there was one photo, the one taken most recently, it was of Ivy, Declan and I when we spent the afternoon at Emerald Hill, we had set Ivy’s digital camera on a ten second timer and rushed to pose for the photo, Declan’s right arm was wrapped around my shoulder and Ivy had wrapped both her arms around my waist, happy smiles were plastered on all three of our faces. That was the best photo I had ever been a part of.

“Should I wear the pastel pink shoes or the pastel blue shoes?” Ivy held up a shoe of each pair, and gave me a quizzical look. The shoes were the same but just different colour.

“What’s the difference, you’re just going to take them off when we get there, you don’t want to get them wet do you?” I asked her.

“No, just tell me what colour.” Ivy stamped her left foot in frustration, ruffled her eyebrows and crinkled her nose.

“The blue ones,” I tossed my head back and lied down on Ivy’s bed. Ivy popped the pastel blue ballets flats, and admired her feet in the full length mirror on her wall.

“Good choose Hazel.” She flopped down on her bed next to me, the mattress bounced underneath me at the impact. “Can I curl your hair?”

“You want to curl my hair, for a pool party?” I asked, giving her my best incredulous expression.

“What’s wrong with that?” she replied.

“Because it will just go frizzy in the water, you idiot. You can’t curl hair with a heat wand if you’re just going to dunk it in water.” I laughed, and rolled my eyes at her stupidity

“You’re actually going swimming?” She raised an eyebrow at me.

“Of course I’m going swimming, it’s a pool party,” I replied incredulously.

“I’m not going swimming, a pool party where people actually swim? That would be kind of childish,” she replied.

“No it would not, it would be normal. Why did we spend three hours at the more shopping for bikini’s and not go swimming?” I leaned up on the post of the bed, a questioning expression plastered on my face.

“Because I look hot in them.” A wide grin spread across her face and she admired herself in the mirror again, this time flicking her hair out and pouting. I think she was a little to obsessed with herself.

“But you have clothes on over the top of them,” I pointed out to her.

“I’m going to take them off when I get there.” She gave me a look that said ‘obviously’ and pointed the palms of her hands to the roof, to emphasise her point, her point that was stupid but still, her point.