Chapter 6: Pens, Showers and Family

Two weeks had passed and I hadn't yet killed my butterfly, it was probably the longest time I had stopped myself from cutting for the last two years. I had borrowed Declan's purple pen and touched her up evvery morning so that she wouldn't fade. Sometimes I thought Violet was real and in a way I was right, she represented my progress in healing.

 For the first couple of days after the night Declan and I went to the lake, I tried to avoid him the best I could, I didn't want things to be awkward between us and I hoped that over time we could just forget about everything that happened but come monday morning I realised that wouldn't happen anytime soon. But the tension faded from us during art class when we got in to another one of our infamous art wars, this time using ink instead of paint. The pink and yellow ink didn't wash off my skin for four days but it was my dress that suffered the most damage, the colourful ink would never come out of the white, lace dress.

Last night Declan had asked Ivy and I to his house for dinner, I kind of started hyperventilating when I realised that meant meeting his sister and mother. I was currently in the middle of the process of pulling out my whole entire wardrobe searching for something to wear tonight. What are you evern supposed to wear to dinner at a friends house? I felt like most my clothes were either to dressy or to casual. I wanted something that said classy but not trying to hard.

I rifled through all the clothes I had chucked on to my bed or floor until I came to a blush pink dress, the dress was sheer with sequins a shade darker than the dress itself. It wasn't to out there and it wasn't to casual, it was perfect. I chucked the dress on to my nightstand, narrowly avoiding knocking there nightstand over it and took a peek in to my shoe closet. I had a lot of shoes thanks to Ivy for taking me shoe shopping almost every single day during summer vacation. I rifled through the various different shapes, styles and colours of shoes but none of them were any good. I wanted a kind of pastel pink shoe to match my dress, but I couldn't find any even though I could have sworn I had several different pairs of the color. Suddenly when I was just about to give up hope, I got a text message from Ivy.

" What are you wearing?" The text message read.

I quickly typed a reply saying, "Hoping to wear a pink sequined dress but I can't find any shoes!" I snapped a picture of the dress and sent it to her as well.

She promptly texted me back and my iPhone dinged, "Pink pastel flats?" She sent a picture of her flats with the text, one of the two pairs we talked about before the pool party, back when everything was normal.

"They're perfect, can you bring them over when you come to pick me up?" I replied.

"Of course!" she texted back after a couple of seconds.

I sighed happily and picked up my dress from the night stand it was laying on. I waltsed in to the bathroom next to my room and locked the door behind me. The only time I ever really locked the door when I was in here was when I was cutting but today I had promised I wasn't going to do that, this time I just wanted to have a nice, warm shower without being interrupted by my mom worrying about me.

I turned on the hot water and stripped off all my clothes. Stepping in to the shower I let out another happy sigh as the warm water began to cascade around me. The shower was my favorite place on stressful days like this one, I could let go of everything and just focus on the warm water that was pelting against my skin, all the worries of the day dissapeared along with the dirtiness that my skin had collected through the day.

Stepping out of the shower, I felt cleaner than I had in many, many days. I pulled on the pink sequined dress and took my heart chaped necklace from the rack I had placed it on and placed it around my neck, clasping it at the back. Noticed that my butterfly had faded during my shower I took out the purple pen Declan had given me out of the bottom drawer of the basin I had been keeping it in for the last two weeks and traced over the remainder of Violet, bringing the intricate butterfly back to its previous state. I quickly towel dried my hair, raked a comb through it a couple of times and ruffled it up with my hands, leaving it losely hanging over my shoulders.