(34) Audrey

Before you continue, please know that this book still needs a lot of fact checking because pregnancy 101 is not something I am an expert of. This means that the author of this book needs to have more research about PREGNANCY and you'll probably be questioning some farfetched information in the book. Again, I did not make some thorough research. Please know that is the first draft and will undergo minimum to drastic editing once done with "fact checking."

NO NEED TO PREACH, PLEASE.

Vren makes her forget. He makes her light when she's heavy from the grueling dilemmas she puts herself through. The one thing Audrey favors more is that he makes her feel. She would have been outrageous seeing that one woman transitioned to clichéd life of a novel heroine who has hearts for eyes. Right now, more than ever, she understands why women buys Sassy issue after issue as soon as it hits the stands. It was a beacon of hope to a less boring life.

"I thought we all agreed this is just us girls." Jessica indecisively browse the menu.

Kathie's cup of caramel macchiato clattered noisily on the saucer. "Jess, we don't have men around. Audrey is just checking on her emails like she always does."

Jessica snorted, pointing a manicured finger her way. "I've seen her check emails. All those times ago, she never made that face."

Audrey darted her eyes away from her phone after sending a reply. "I'm not making any face."

They were at their usual hangout after a hair appointment. Kathie has always persisted they grab coffee after every appointment until the café a few blocks away from the salon becomes an unofficial hangout.

"Uh, yeah, you were."

"You have to decide which to order. Kylie is picking me up in ten minutes." She sips on her black coffee.

She purses her lips. "I'd just order something to-go. I have a wedding gig tomorrow and I need to take some beauty sleep anyway."

"Make it a moderate beauty sleep. We don't want the photographer to outshine the bride, do we?" Kathie grins.

"Oh. You know just how to make me feel beautiful." Jessica flips her red hair and did a pose.

Audrey crosses her leg over the other. "Did you say wedding gig? You're gonna have another wedding hookup."

Jessica expelled a pseudo offended gasp. "What do you think of me? A woman without high priced taste?"

"Your words not mine," she retorted wryly.

Kathie laughed. "Okay, are you though?"

"A woman with high priced taste? Nope. I'm that rarest type with a shallow source of happiness." Jessica flipped the menu which she's been doing for the entire span of their breakfast.

"No. I meant hookup. That part is already given."

She stared at her nails. "Nah, been skipping that lately."

Audrey puts down her coffee. "Why? That's not you."

"Well, the scene just got a little boring," she corrected, her chin angling upward.

Kathie gasp. "You're finally bored?"

Audrey shrugged. "Maybe. I can't remember the last time she even flirted with a waiter."

Jessica hid behind her menu.

"Wait a minute," Audrey clicks her tongue examining her friend. "You're bored, right?"

Kathie gasped loudly. "You are, Jess? You need help looking for a decent guy?"

Audrey's phone buzzes from a text from Kylie. She gives her best friends an apologetic smile before securing her bag to her arm. "Kylie's outside. We're still not done with you, Jess."

"Let's just forget about it."

She snorted. "Not a chance."

Kathie waved her goodbye, nudging their friend for more details. "Spill."

Stifling a smile, she leaves her friends to delve into the idea of Jessica Keith claiming herself a relationship.

Kylie drives her to their office building. She walks her through her schedule for the day while pulling up to the parking lot. "And Vren called asking if you guys are still having dinner at his place."

It was the only thing she's spoken that caught her attention. "We still are."

She kills the engine, nodding. She climbs out of the car and opens the door to her side.

Audrey steps out, murmuring she doesn't have to open doors for her like a chauffeur. Kylie was looking over her shoulder, her eyes alarming her. "Mark Sinclair," she clears her throat.

She turns around – sure enough, he was there – and finds him walking towards them. "What are you doing here?" She frowned when he neared them.

"I just needed to talk to you." Mark took a tentative step closer. His hair was styled perfectly, his entirety calm and collected. It was a glimpse of Mark Sinclair – a striking young man who walked up to her that one night in the field after a win against the opposing high school football team. It wasn't the hackneyed cheerleader and jock love story. No, Mark was there for the school paper. He was always around on big games and victory parties.

The quintessential ideal guy – gentle, silent and self-contained. Audrey loved him. And loved the idea of them together like Rachel sketched it for her. "I thought you already did that."

"I know you're angry. And you've bottled it up for years. But I need you to hear what I have to say." There was an uncharacteristic strain in his voice.

She clicks her tongue. Only interrupted by her phone ringing. She dug in her bag, having the intentions of letting the call go to voicemail. She decided against it when her mother's photo appears on her screen. She answered the call, turning away to Kylie.

Her aunt Gemma was on the other line, crying.

"Aunt Gem? What's wrong?" Why do you have my mother's phone? An unsettling feeling twist her gut in tiny knots.

"It's your mother. She's at the hospital," she says in between sobs. "Your father asked me to call you."

"What?" Her voice raised an octave. "Why? What happened to mom?"

"She took too many sleeping pills." The distress of her aunt seeped through the other line and turn her blood cold.

Aunt Gemma told her she found her in bed earlier in the morning with an empty bottle of sleeping pills. Her mother wasn't waking up. She called the ambulance. She told her which hospital she was taken.

That was all Audrey needed. She hangs up, cursing through her breath.

"What's wrong, Audrey?" Mark had his hand on her shoulder, reminding her he was still there.

"My mother overdosed." Her throat constricted, having heard it out loud. "I need to go."

"Audrey, let me drive you. You can't go like this."

He was right. Her insides were shaking. She doubts she could hold onto a stirring wheel. "Fine. You're coming with us, Kylie."

"Sure." She nods and rushed immediately to her side. 

Give me some love, you guys! Don't forget to vote and leave me a comment. What do you think? :)