Chapter Three - Болезненный день рождения

A Morbid Birthday

Peter was wrapped up in blankets while laying his head in Bucky's lap. Neither of them had gotten out of bed all day. Bucky was combing his fingers through his husband's hair as they watched The Little Mermaid. It was something they had started three years ago. Every birthday and every year on the day she died, they would spend it together and watch The Little Mermaid. Peter usually wouldn't sleep the night before and have trouble sleeping the night after. Bucky would try and stay up with him. Sometimes he would succeed and other times he would pass out with Peter in his arms or vise versa.

Last night was the latter. They stayed up for most of the night talking. Peter was laying next to Bucky with his head rested on his husband's chest. They were holding hands as Bucky drifted off around five in the morning.

Bucky had woken maybe four or five hours after falling asleep and the two started watching The Little Mermaid.

"Hey, babe, I'm going to go make some food," Bucky kissed Peter's forehead, "Wanna turn something on in there and watch?"

"I'm good," Peter said as he scooted over to let Bucky get up.

"Alright then," Bucky said before pressing a soft kiss to Peter's lips before heading into their kitchen.

After Peter and Bucky made it back from their honeymoon, Tony had given the couple an entire floor to themselves. Peter knew that Tony had done it in order to get Peter and Bucky to stay in New York. Peter also knew that he and Bucky were not going to be staying in New York for much longer. Of course, they hadn't actually discussed it, but they couldn't keep putting the Avengers in harm's way. Yes, they are the Avengers, and no, Peter did not underestimate their abilities, but he did know that people die, no matter if they know how to protect themselves or not. Usually, if a group as large as the Avengers, no matter the powers or skills, people would die.

Bucky went into the kitchen and decided to make a box of kraft macaroni and cheese. It was one of the few things Bucky could still cook that tasted better than cardboard and it still passed the FDA's regulations. Not to mention Peter had mentioned Morgan's favorite food was macaroni and cheese. Given, Peter was very drunk and very sleep deprived when he said it, but drunk Peter also didn't lie. Not that Peter would lie about something like that.

It was something not many people picked up on other than Bucky and Flash, but Peter was more than brutally honest when he was drunk. He could lie his ass off if he needed to, but he just didn't. He didn't care enough to lie about much of anything when he was drunk.

Bucky made two bowls of the macaroni and was about to take them back into their bedroom when he heard the elevator doors open. He spun around in defense mode to see it was only Tony.

"Man, you have got to give a warning before you just come in," Bucky breathed as he relaxed.

"Sorry," Tony scratched his neck. His hair was a hot mess and he was in sweats and a jacket. Something Bucky never thought he would see any Stark, let alone Tony, wear, "Is Peter up?" Tony's voice was rough and his eyes were slightly puffy. Not to mention the man's breath smelled of alcohol.

"I'm not too sure it's a good idea to go in there," Bucky warned trying to be polite as he figured Tony was dying inside. After all, today his daughter would have been sixteen, but instead, she was buried nearly twelve years ago. Bucky couldn't imagine the pain of losing a child so young.

"Look, I get it. You're his husband or whatever and you know the person he has become better than any of us. But I know my kid and I know he doesn't handle today well," Tony tried to push past Bucky, but Bucky placed a somewhat gentle hand to his chest to stop him.