Chapter 12. Secret Weapon

Aria

"I knew I lost my memory, but damn. Don't you think I'd recognize my own wife?" he murmured and looked away. Austin and Benny left me alone with Ace after he calmed down. "How could I not know?"

"I'm a bit surprised you didn't put it together, Ace. My name is tattooed on your chest. Angel's name is tattooed there too. Several years ago, I lost a part of my memory. I didn't remember you at all. You helped me bring it back," I explained. "Maybe I can help bring back your memory."

"They told me that my sister's name is Aria and that you killed her and that I wanted revenge. They obviously lied to me about many things. I don't think anything you do will bring it back. What good would it do? You've already shown me dozens of pictures. It's not there. Whoever I was, it's gone. I'm not that guy anymore. I'm sorry," he said.

I sighed and buried my face in my hands.

"How long do you intend to keep me tied up?" he asked.

"That depends on you," I said. "Are you done trying to kill me?"

"Yes," he answered.

"Are you going to leave?" I asked.

"Well, what good am I here?" he asked. "I don't remember you or our kids."

"What good?" I inhaled sharply. I felt as if he punched me in the stomach. "You're not leaving, Ace," I snapped. "Not until I figure out this situation with the Chinese."

"Why don't I help you get rid of them?" he suggested.

I looked at him in disbelief. A chuckle escaped me. "You don't honestly expect me to believe that? An hour ago, they were your loyal, amazing family. Now you're ready to side with me?"

"Look, I'm not promising things between us will work out. How am I supposed to love someone I don't know? I have no recollection of loving anybody or anything. I haven't a clue what that must feel like, but I see that it hurts you. However, that doesn't mean I don't believe you. Knowing what I know now, I want them dead as bad as you do if not worse," he sneered.

"How so?" I asked. I crossed my arms over my chest.

"They basically took my life from me. How am I not going to be angry about that?" he asked and tilted his head.

It took me a long moment. Instead of responding, I walked over to him with the knife. Ace watched me curiously. I cut the ropes that tied him down.

"Just like that?" Ace asked in disbelief. "I tried to kill you, and you're just going to trust me?" he slowly stood up. His chest pressed to mine.

My stomach twisted into knots at his touch. "Yes," I breathed. My gaze never left his. "You may not remember, but I can see it in your eyes. You're the same man you always were. It's just buried deep inside you. Only you can find it," I said softly.

His gaze fell to my lips and flickered back to my eyes. Curiosity burned in his eyes. I turned and headed up the stairs with his footfalls behind me.

When we walked into the study, Austin and Benny were on the couch. They stiffened up, and Austin pointed a gun at Ace.

"He's fine, Austin," I muttered.

"Are you sure?" Austin asked.

"I'm sure," I said. I stood protectively in front of Ace.

"This is fucked up," Benny muttered.

"You should call the others," I told Austin.

Austin nodded in agreement.