Chapter 21. How Is This Happening?

Ace

"How is this happening?" I shouted.

"Dad? What's wrong?" Angel asked.

"N-nothing go back to bed," I told him. I redialed Aria's number but no answer. "Fuck, bebita, answer the phone!" I hung the phone up and looked at Angel.

"Where is Mom?" he asked quietly.

"Look, stay here. Call Benny to come over and sit with you guys. I have to go find your mom," I explained as I headed for the door.

"Dad!" Angel shouted. "I'm not some little kid. What the hell happened?"

I sighed and turned back to face Angel. "I've been calling your mother for a half hour. She went out to get some food. I don't know why but she didn't tell me she was leaving. I called and talked to her. She said she was on the way, but that was a while ago. Now stay put. I'll be back."

Angel stayed silent as I walked out of the study. He followed me down the hallway. "What if the Chinese got her?" Angel's voice strained.

"Don't even think that, boy," I said. Because I can't even think that way — I thought to myself.

"If they did, it's your fault," Angel spat through clenched teeth.

No part of me could deny that. It would be my fault. Even though I agreed with him, I wouldn't allow my son to talk to me that way. I turned around to face him. My expression murderous, which wasn't a look I should have given my son, but I was angry — I was angrier with myself than Angel.

Anger soared through me like I had never known before. I grabbed onto Angel's arm, not enough to hurt him but enough to show him what he said pissed me off. My heart pounded hard and fast at the thought of something terrible happening to her.

"Don't you ever fucking talk to me like that, boy. Memory or not, I'm still your father, and she is still my wife. I will get your mother back if it is the last fucking thing that I do," I hissed. I spun around and stormed out of the house. I pulled my phone out and sent a text to everyone to let them know Aria went missing.

Aria didn't tell me where she was. A couple of weeks ago, I recalled we walked past a new doughnut shop, and she wanted to go in. We never went in because we were too busy.

I sped down the highway at eighty miles per hour. The city blurred past me. Traffic wasn't heavy because it was late.

I drifted into the parking lot of the doughnut shop and saw her car.

My phone rang. "Hello?" I asked.

"What the hell do you mean she is missing?" Austin asked.

"I'm at that new bakery in town. Do you know the place?" I asked.

"On Fourth Avenue?" Austin asked breathlessly. The wind from Austin running echoed through the phone.

"Yeah," I said. I threw her car door open to look inside. "Her car is here, but she's gone. There is a note," I said.

"What the fuck does it say?" Austin asked as I opened the letter.

"It says, if you want Aria to call this number," I read.

"Do you recognize the writing?" Austin asked.

"No. It's not Bohai's writing. I can tell you that much," I said. "That doesn't mean someone didn't do his dirty work for him."

"I'm nearly there," Austin said and hung up.

A few breaths later, Austin's car whipped into the parking lot. Austin jumped out of the car and ran toward me.