Chapter 15. Stay With Me

Aria

Even though it was Ace's idea to go out with the kids tonight, he stayed quiet. He seemed far away. There happened to be a fair in town tonight down by the beach. The kids ran off to get on a ride. Aiden, who is nearly four years old, didn't get to go on too many rides.

"You're quiet," I said. Suspicion coated my voice, even though I tried to hide it. I would explode if I didn't say anything about the way he acted.

"Am I?" Ace asked. He tilted his head toward me. "I'm sorry, bebita. I just have a lot on my mind."

My jaw dropped in shock. The air escaped my lungs, and my steps faltered. Aiden sat on Ace's shoulders with an ice cream cone. Aiden stared down at me in wonder.

"What'd you call me?" My voice came out barely above a whisper.

His gaze met mine, and his eyes widened slightly. He bit his lip, unsure of how to answer.

"Do you even know what that means?" I asked, surprised. I moved closer to him without thinking about it.

Ace sighed. "Yes, I know what it means." He didn't look at me as he answered. "It means baby girl."

"Do you remember Spanish?" I asked.

"Yes," he admitted.

"Ace, that's great!"

"Stop it, Aria," Ace spat. "It's not. Okay? It doesn't mean anything."

"It does, Ace. You called me—"

"I know what I called you, okay? I'm guessing I used to call you that a lot. I only know about it because of this dream I had. It just slipped. I shouldn't have called you that. It got your hopes up, and I'm sorry. My memory isn't coming back." The confidence in his voice broke my heart into pieces.

My expression became torn. "W-what do you mean?" I stuttered.

"I didn't know how to tell you earlier. I didn't want to get your hopes up, and I was right not to. Last night I had a dream only I think it was a memory. In the dream, I called you bebita. When I woke up, I realized I knew what it meant. When I came into the study today, you spoke Spanish, and I knew what you said. I thought maybe it was coming back," he muttered.

"Maybe you could go see the doctor—"

"So, I went to see that doctor. He told me I might become more myself the more I get around you. He explained that I might get a few memories back through dreams. However, he's pretty sure I'm not getting it all back. My brain was too damaged in the accident. I'll never be the same," he muttered. Ace looked away to hide the disappointment in his eyes.

It takes me a long moment. I grabbed his face and forced him to look at me. "You look the same to me," I murmured.

His eyes danced at my words. His chest rose and fell against mine. I stood on my toes and pecked him on the cheek. He gave me a small smile. I took his hand in mine and pulled him toward the ride the kids were getting off.

After the fair, we stopped at Mamicon's Mexican Restaurant. The kids told Ace more about themselves. They told him some memories they had of him. Aiden didn't recall anything about Ace. He was too young.

When we got home, Ace helped me put the kids to bed. We stopped outside Aiden's room, not far from our room.

"I suppose I should go," Ace said. He didn't sound like he wanted to leave.

"Would you stay?" I asked quietly.

He looked at me, confused. "Do you want me to?"

"Stay with me," I insisted.