Chapter 18-Dreams of the Past, Does Nothing Ever Last?

TREVOR

I waited patiently until Natalie was safely inside of her house before starting up the engine and slowly backing out. I glanced at the house one last time in my rearview mirror, tempted to turn back and make sure she'd locked the door like I'd told her.

Not that it was any of my business but her mother shouldn't have been leaving her vulnerable and ridiculously fragile teenage daughter alone for as long as she did. I mean, look where it got her this time, mixed up with someone like me. Natalie's mother should have known that Natalie was still extremely dependent on her. When she asked me if her mother had called anymore, I nearly lied and said she had because I could see the hope in her eyes. But she hadn't. So I had to tell her no. And then that hope was replaced with disappointment. I couldn't resist the urge to apologize for her mother, even though it wasn't my fault.

I ran a hand down my face as I pulled up to a red light.

She'd be fine.

Besides, she wasn't my problem anymore anyway.

I reached down and plucked my black shades from the console, sliding them on as I rolled my eyes, annoyed that the light wasn't green yet before running it. For the rest of the drive, my thoughts simply floated from one meaningless thing to the next.

I was grateful to have the house to myself when I arrived back home. I sluggishly climbed the stairs to my bedroom and walked into my bathroom.

I took my clothes off and stepped inside the shower, letting the steaming hot water pour over me as I leaned against the side of the shower.

Drops of water trickled down my face and dropped off my lashes as I closed my eyes.

I was exhausted by all the commotion over the past week. It took all the energy I could muster just to hold my own weight, wash and get out of the shower. I dried myself off and put on my clothes then headed straight for my bed.

I flopped down on it and felt the haziness of sleep grab ahold of me.

*Dream*

"Trevor, I'll be fine." She insisted, shoving me out of the door. "Just fine. Don't worry so much." She said, giggling.

I sighed.

"Fine. Call me tomorrow?" I asked and she nodded.

I leaned in, kissing her before she closed the door lightly.

I swiftly turned on my heels and proceeded down the short sidewalk to my car. My hand lingered on the handle as I glanced back toward the house.

Had she locked the door?

Of course she had.

She wasn't stupid.

After all, I'd taught her myself. I brought her into this world. Showed her all the ropes, granted that she'd already had some experience when I met her. But still.

Ordinarily, I would've never dragged someone into my lifestyle. Only a select group of people could handle this shit and do it well anyway.

But Bridgette was different.

She was wild, untamed.

And wanted this shit.

Wanted the rush, the crime, the glory, the stakeouts.

Before, she was just doing small stuff. You know, dealing and kids' crimes. Just anything.

But when she met me, things got bigger.