Chapter 23-7 Minutes In Heaven

TREVOR

"It's my mother!" Natalie whisper yelled.

She looked around frantically as the doorknob began to turn.

"In the kitchen, now!"

She shoved me quickly into the room and I pressed myself against the side of the wall.

From where I stood, I could see Natalie standing there. I watched as she looked frantically for someplace to throw my shirt as she still clutched it. She ran out of time and quickly hid it behind her back as the front door swung open.

"Mom!" She exclaimed, trying to sound excited, yet surprised to see her. "I thought you were staying in Virginia tonight."

"They had an early flight," she said, smiling and wheeling her suitcase into the house.

She was very pretty, basically an older version of Natalie. Same brown hair, although a few grays scattered throughout. Same voice, although her eyes were a very light blue, unlike Nat's dark ones. She must've gotten them from her father.

They exchanged an awkward hug and her mother stepped back from her, running her hands down both of Natalie's arms.

"I really did miss you," she said.

Natalie nodded.

"I missed you, too."

Her mother smiled.

"Good. Now, there's someone I want you to meet!" She said excitedly, clapping her hands before going to the door. "Joe?" She called in a sticky sweet voice.

A second later, she ushered in a tall man wearing a dark blue suit with jet black hair.

"Natalie, this is Joe. Joe, this is my beautiful daughter that I've told you so much about."

He smiled, reaching out to shake Natalie's hand.

"It's so nice to finally meet you."

"Thank you," Natalie said, plastering on a smile I could tell was fake, but it seemed to fool her mother and Joe. "Let me help you both with your bags." She insisted, but her mother shook her head.

"That can wait. Why don't we all have coffee and catch up?" Her mother suggested.

Natalie's eyes went big as her mother turned toward the kitchen.

"Yes! That would be great. I'll get some brewing. I know how tired you both must be. Go into the living room and get comfortable," Natalie said quickly.

Her mother smiled.

"You're so sweet."

She kissed Natalie's cheek before turning the opposite way and heading into the living room.

"Nonsense. I insist on helping," Joe said as he smiled.

I quickly looked around for a place to hide as Natalie insisted he go with her mother. I opened a door revealing a small pantry space and swiftly slid inside, shutting the door just as Joe stepped into the kitchen.

"Joe, wait—" Natalie started, but stopped when she walked in and I was nowhere to be found. "Thank you for helping," she said, clearing her throat and regaining her composure.

"It's no trouble. Now, where do you keep your coffee?" He asked.

I could hear footsteps coming toward the pantry and the knob jiggled. I mentally cursed as it began to turn. It opened only a crack and I furrowed my eyebrows as a hand quickly threw in something before closing it back quickly.