Brooklyn

Your POV

As much as I didn't want to, I headed back to make sure I didn't miss any meetings.  We were standing in front of Pulitzer's building. Everyone was chanting strike. Soon, people started calling different parts of New York to get people in on the strike.

"Alright. And Bumlets, and Specs and Skittery, you take Queens.  Pie Eater! Snoddy! East Side! Snipeshooter, you go with 'em." The crowd dispersed a little, but not much. "So, what about Brooklyn? Come on, Spot Conlon's territory." No one raise their hands, and even avoided eye contact. Maybe I can prove meself this way.

"I'll takes Brooklyn!" I raised my hand and spoke, people turned to me, but Jack ignored me and moved on. "What'sa matta? You scared of Brooklyn?" I put my hand down, and stared at the ground. What did I dos wrong?

"Hey, we ain't scared of Brooklyn. Spot Conlon makes us a little nervous." Boots said, I remained quiet, and everyone returned to facing the front. "Well, he don't make me nervous. So you and me, Boots, we'll go to Brooklyn. And Dave here can keep us company."

Well... that's that Ise guess... I turn to walk away. "Sure, just as soon as you delivery our demands to Pulitzer. And you let (Mn) come along." My head snapped up and I turned back towards them, the others seemed to move so I was in Jack's line of sight. He glared at him, and turned to Davey. "He's useless, if anythin' at the very sight of 'im, Spot's gonna say no."

"And youse want me tah talk tah Pulitzer?" "You're the leader, Jack." He grabs Les. "Well, maybe the kid'll soften him up." The Newsies cheer and soon split off to their sections. Davey walks up to me. "Youse didn' have tah do that you knows." "I know, but he's got to stop being so rude to you." I scoff. "Rude? He's me brudda, it's just how we dos." I smirk a little and cross my arms.

"Hey, what is the strike? What's going on?" A guy said walking up to us. He looks like a news reporter. "We're bringing out demands to Pulitzer." "What demands?" "The newsies demands. We're on strike." The reporter guy had a small smile.

"I'm with the New York Sun. Bryan Denton.
You seem like the kid in charge. What's your name?"
"David." "David. David as in David and Goliath?" Davey nods. The Denton guy then turns to me. "And who might you be?" "The name's Jaguar." He laughed a little. "Jaguar. Like the animal?" I nod. He turns back to Davey.

"You really think old man Pulitzer's going to listen to your demands?" "He has to." And right as Davey said it, Les and Jack got kicked out. Soon we were at Tibby's Jack didn't want me to go, but Davey and Denton insisted that I come. Jack was not happy about that. "So this snooty mug says to me, 'You can't see Mr. Pulitzer. No one sees Mr. Pulitzer.' Real hoity-toity, you know the type?" Les repeats after him.

"So that's when I says to him, 'Listen, I ain't in the habit of transacting no business with office boys. Just tell him Jack Kelly's here to see him now!'" "That's when he threw us out." Les finished. "Does he scare you? You're going up against the most powerful man in New York City." I am, but Jack can' see that, or I'd neva prove meself.

"Oh yeah, look at me. I'm trembling." Jack joked. Denton stands with a smile. "Alright, keep me informed. I want to know everything that's going on." "Are we really an important story?" "Well, what's important? Last year I covered the war in Cuba. Charged up San Juan Hill with Col. Teddy Roosevelt. That was an important story. So, is the newsie's strike important? That all depends on you."

"So my name's really gonna be in the papers?" "Any objections?" "Not as long as you get it right. It's Kelly, Jack Kelly. Oh, and Denton? No pictures." Denton smiles more. "Sure Jack." Then he walks out.

Soon we're all headed across the bridge to get to Brooklyn. It took a lot of convincing, but Jack finally agreed to let me go, as long as I kept my mouth shut.
"I've never been to Brooklyn, have you?" Davey asked, to everyone really. "I spent a month there on night." Boots replies and I smiled a little.

Jack and Boots then screamed over the edge of the bridge. Then we continued walking. "So, is this Spot Conlon really dangerous?" He doesn't get an answer as we reach Brooklyn, all the guys were tough looking and could beat all of us to a pulp if they wanted to. One gets in front of Jack. "Going somewhere, Kelly?" He pushes passed him, and we all follow. Soon we hear a voice from above us.

"Well, if it ain't Jack be nimble, Jack be quick."