Chapter Three

Eli's eyes flicker right to my stomach. This was probably the worst dress to choose now that I think about it. The little bump that I do have is hidden.

After a few seconds of chilling silence, I realize he's waiting for me to explain. Though his face is filled with a mixture of hurt, surprise, and confusion, I try to continue. "I'm three months along. My doctor estimates that we... we conceived our first time, or at least the one week we were married and together."

His eyes round.

I bite my lip. "I found out about a month after you left."

***

Two months ago.

"You can't be serious," I said. "You can't. That's not possible. There's no way."

Dr. Reeve rolled her eyes. "You know as well as I do it's completely possible. You're smarter than this."

I clutched my head and doubled over. "I know. I know. I know..." I took a deep breath. My fingers fell to the soft mat of the exam table, curling around the edge. "I just—I took the birth control religiously after we found out about the medication swap."

"Birth control isn't one hundred percent effective as it is. You want to keep this baby?"

I nodded without thinking too hard. It's Eli's baby. I didn't have to think.

"Then start taking prenatal vitamins and don't stress yourself out too much. You've been doing great with keeping your weight up. I still think you should be going to the group therapy sessions, but with your current position, I don't blame you for calling a quits. But I do want you to take care of yourself, even if you don't have a therapist looming over your shoulder. You're responsible for another human life now."

I nodded again. "I know," I whispered.

Dr. Reeve stood up from her stool, took a couple steps, and then sat beside me. She placed a hand on my shoulder. "For a second, let's not be a doctor and her queen. Let's talk mother of three to expecting mother."

My eyes widened. "Three?"

She smiled, which I didn't think I'd seen her do before. "Yes, three. Mave, I lost my husband to the ColdBloods years ago during a rescue mission. I was pregnant with my third child at the time. Even though I felt like everything was going up in flames, I realized that I still had a piece of him with me. Three pieces actually. When I look at them, I see my husband. It's not as great as him being here with me to raise them, but it's still rewarding to see how much of him is present in them. I'm not saying that the king is dead, but I am saying that he's not here right now."

"Yeah. Um, thank you," I said.

She squeezed my shoulder. "Want an ultrasound?"

"Uh—"

"Not really a choice. You're getting one."

***

Now.

When I finish telling him the whole story, he just blinks at me in utter shock.

"Please say something," I say in a rasping voice.

Eli rubs the back of his neck. "Um. I mean, I knew something was different about you, but I didn't think... I didn't expect."

I look down. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry? What are you sorry about?"

Tears erupt from my eyes, and I start rubbing at my face to try and force them away. "You've been through so much that I have no clue about, and I drop this on you."