Chapter Ten

The press conference is packed in the ballroom. Eli stands at the podium on the raised platform wearing a navy suit and black tie. I stand beside him to his right, wearing a loose-fitting black dress that falls just past my knees. Eli gives his open and honest statement about the outpost event. He leaves out gory details, and at the end, reads off the names of every person who died that day in honor of them.

The room has come to a chilling silence with only Eli's authoritative voice piercing through it. "...and Wendy Mayers. I'd like to honor each and every one of these souls who gave their lives to protect our kingdom. The court is currently discussing a memorial to be built in one of the parks. As for the families that these warriors left behind, we will not leave them without support. The aftermath of our battle with Bayfell has been scarring, but I know that as a kingdom we can overcome this. Thank you for your time. Are there any questions?"

And here it is.

Let it begin.

The room erupts into vocal chaos as indecipherable questions are thrown at us. Instead of just reporters and notable public figures, we've invited the public to the conference as well, capping off entry into the ballroom at max capacity.

Eli raises a hand so that the crowd can calm down, understanding that he's going to pick a question from the audience. He waves his hand to a middle-aged gentleman in a bright yellow polo. He looks like an every-day suburban dad. "Yes, thank you. King Elijah, do you feel guilty for letting so many of our sons and daughters perish?"

I jump in before Eli can even take a breath. "Next question."

Eli takes my hand. When I look at him, he's offering a weak smile, one that makes me want to cry. "No, it's fine," he says in a hushed voice so that only I can hear him. He turns his gaze to the man. "Yes, I feel an immense amount of guilt."

A bombardment of questions rises up again. Eli calls on a reporter this time—a young blonde woman in her mid-twenties. She waves a recording device up toward Eli as she asks her question, "Do you believe any of the rumors about the queen and her attendant?"

I feel Eli take my hand from behind the podium, squeezing it in reassurance. He tilts his head at the woman with an innocent glint in his eyes. "What rumors?"

The room begins to fall into an uncomfortable stillness as people shift on their feet and look from one to another. They start looking from me to Oliver. He stands at attention behind us, and I know he's doing his best to keep a straight face. No emotion.

The reporter stumbles over her words but pushes through. "There are rumors going around about an affair between them."

Eli looks at me, and I see he's trying to put on an act for everyone. Act clueless.

So, I should, too.

He looks back at the reporter. "No, I don't believe that. Mave has been nothing but faithful to me. Oliver is a loyal guard. He has done an excellent job of protecting her while I was away, and I hope he can continue to keep her safe during this conflict with Bayfell."

Oh.

That was good.

Immediately, the crowd begins pestering Eli with questions about Bayfell and his plans on how to deal with him. He was able to completely flip their interest with that single answer.

But now, this topic isn't much easier on him. His answers will leave room for judgement.

Eli never lets go of my hand as he does his best to answer question after question. I can tell that by after forty-five minutes, he's exhausted and becoming restless.