Chapter Nine

Breakfast the next morning is more than unsettling. Eli and I arrive at the dining room at about eight o'clock to see Angel, Ruth, Lily, Adrian, and their baby, whose name I learned is Michael, already halfway through their meal together. While Angel and Ruth smile in greeting at us, Adrian attempts a smile until Lily glares at him. Then, she pushes her chair out and takes the baby from his highchair. She storms out of the room, pushing past us.

Adrian stands and nods at us. "I'm sorry... She's been a little moody lately."

Angel shakes her head. "You have nothing to apologize for, Adrian. It's all her."

Adrian flashes a thankful smile before following his girlfriend out of the room.

Eli and I look at each other before joining Ruth and Angel at the dining table. A couple of workers immediately disappear into the kitchen before returning with two plates filled with eggs, toast, and waffles. I eye my plate in particular, packed just a little higher than Eli's.

When the workers set our plates down in front of us, I switch my plate with Eli's.

He narrows his eyes at me. "Come on, you should get more."

"I don't want more. This is enough."

Ruth sighs and waves her fork at her brother. "Just let her. She's as stubborn as ever right now."

"I'm right here!" I say.

She laughs. "I'm aware."

We dive into our meals as Angel begins talking. "How did you guys sleep? Any... issues?"

Ruth gapes at her mother in disgust. "Mom, what the heck? What kind of question is that?"

I put my fork down and let my eyes fall into my lap, my small stomach grazing my legs. We know she's talking about the PTSD, but Ruth doesn't know anything about it yet. I'm surprised Angel kept it from her own daughters.

"No issues," Eli says, keeping his tone mild. He seems more interested in his toast than anything right now.

Ruth pretends to gag. "You guys going to keep talking about this? At the table?"

Angel rolls her eyes. "It's not what you're thinking, dear."

"Then enlighten me, because it sounds like you're asking about their sex life."

Eli coughs, nearly choking on his food. I pat him on the back until he's able to grab his glass of water.

Angel laughs. "Oh, sweetie. No, I'm not that nosey. But don't worry about it. How about we make a plan for what we discuss at the press conference?"

She's always been great at smooth diversions, especially when it comes to Ruth's curiosity. Angel delves into all the potential topics and questions the reporters may bring up and how we should address everything. She says it's crucial that we remain honest with everything that happened at the outpost, should that topic come up—which it will, no doubt.

By now, the news of Oliver's imprisonment has surfaced around the kingdom, and we have to be ready for everything they throw at us.

"There are already rumors of you having an affair with him, Mave," Angel says. "And they've obviously tried to connect the baby to him as well."

I squeeze my eyes shut and lean over on the table, holding my head. I've lost all chances of an appetite, and I haven't even taken a bite. A hand rests on my back, and I glance to my left to see Eli gazing at me with more than just an apology in his eyes.