Chapter Twelve

"When did she first tell you?" I ask Charlie.

Eris has finally fallen asleep in an exhausted heap on her bed. Charlie has tucked her into her bed and sits beside her, running his fingers through her messy hair. I sit on the other side of Eris, hugging my knees and leaning against the headboard.

"When you were in the hospital in November."

I can't keep the surprise out of my voice. "You two barely knew each other, though."

He shrugs, not taking his eyes off Eris "When we left you and Eli, we were walking around together. She saw a pregnant woman being rushed past us with some kind of trauma, and Eris absolutely lost it. She had a full-on panic attack, so I had to take her somewhere else. We ended up in the hospital's chapel. That's when she finally told me."

"Oh, wow."

Charlie sighs and smiles at Eris's sleeping face. "I want to protect her, but I know she's strong enough to do that for herself. I hope she'll settle for me trying to help her heal."

I narrow my eyes at him. "Your comment earlier didn't help with that."

Charlie scowls at me. "I'm aware, thank you." He lets his eyes soften. "I stopped having feelings for you long ago. Don't take that the wrong way—"

"I don't."

He gives me a lopsided grin. "Of course not." Then he gazes back down at Eris. "That day at the hospital, after I fought with Eli and lost it in front of everyone... I started to see Eris. Like, really see her. I thought I wanted you, my childhood best friend, but in reality, I think I wanted someone who could counteract my personality. I'm loud and admittedly arrogant. Eris is quiet and spirited. I want her to know how much she means to me."

"Then you better tell her, because after hearing that story from her, I'm surprised she's managed to trust you."

Charlie groans. "And my dumb comment may have ruined that."

I laugh. "I don't think so. Look at her."

Eris is clinging to Charlie even in her sleep. She's curled up halfway into his lap, her forehead pressed against his hip.

"I think you just need to have a long conversation with her. Find out what she needs from you, and what you need from her."

Charlie smiles at me. "Thanks, Mave."

There's a muffled knock at the door, and when it opens, Eli pokes his head in. "Everyone okay?"

"Yeah," I say. "She's sleeping now."

Eli looks at the three of us piled on Eris's bed, Charlie and I sandwiching my sleeping friend. His eyes glimmer. "Oh, are we having a snuggle party? Move over, I want to cuddle with Charlie."

Charlie scoffs. "No thanks."

Eli crosses the room and sits on the bed beside me. "Oliver finished escorting everyone off the grounds. Dinner is almost ready. You guys want to join us?" he asks Charlie.

"I think I'll stay with Eris and let her sleep. You two go on ahead," he says.

Eli helps me to my feet and takes my hand. I glance back at Charlie over my shoulder. "We'll save some food for you guys. See you later. Have her text me when she gets up, okay?"

Charlie nods. "Will do. Thanks, guys."

***

A crowd waits for us at dinner. I'm surprised to see my parents and Aria are here, along with Adrian, Lily, and their baby. Angel is talking away to my mom, who looks beyond exhausted. Ruth is eyeing Oliver, who stands at the entrance to the dining room with no expression evident on his face.