Chapter Sixteen

We don't hear back from Bayfell for about a week, and by now, it's the beginning of April. The soldiers Adressa sent informed us that in one month, we would be meeting with her, Princess Paisley, four soldiers, and two advisors at a lake house halfway between Bayfell and New Athens. We were given a map with details of the location.

"One whole month seems kind of an excessive amount of time to wait," I mutter to Eli.

He eyes the closed door of Dr. Reeve's exam room, his legs bouncing up and down on the tiled floor. "I know. But at least this gives us time to come up with backup plans. If she's bringing four soldiers and two advisors, so should we. This should be an even playing field."

"Providing she doesn't do anything behind our backs," I say.

"Right."

He can't stop moving his legs. The tapping of his heels on the floor is about to drive me nuts, but I can't blame him. This visit isn't for me.

Ever since we heard from Bayfell, Eli's been having nightmares. He's been moving so much in his sleep, as well as talking, trembling, and moaning. He doesn't wake up unless I practically yell out his name. Once he's up, though, he hardly remembers the dream. Still, I asked if we could see Dr. Reeve this morning.

Though he was reluctant, he agreed.

When the door to the exam room opens up and Dr. Reeve emerges, we're surprised when Lily and Adrian follow her out. Lily's face is streaked with tears, and her cheeks are swollen and red. Adrian's eyes are hollow and dull.

Dr. Reeve glances back at the two. "I'd like to see you back in a couple days for a recheck. All right?"

Lily nods and sniffs. She wipes her arm on the shoulder sleeve of her sundress. Then, she stops cold when she sees us.

"Lily?" Eli says, his voice reaching out as a tentative question.

Lily rolls her shoulders back and musters up the weakest smile with all the strength she has left. "I—uh—I'll um." Then she bursts into tears, and immediately, Adrian's arm comes around her shoulders. He starts ushering her out of the waiting area of the medical wing. He nods at Eli, who gets to his feet and takes a step to follow them. But he stops by the doorway to the main entry corridor.

Lily's sobs echo off the marble floors and ceiling.

Eli whips his head back around to Dr. Reeve, who is now scrolling through something on her tablet, paying no mind. "What happened?"

"Can't disclose that," she says.

"That's my sister," Eli says, balling up his fists.

"And?"

"Can't I know what—"

I stand and take Eli's hand to pull him back into the room. "We'll talk to Lily later. It'll be okay."

He lets out a frustrated huff, his shoulders drooping. "She's not dying, is she?"

Dr. Reeve scoffs. "Of course not. She'll be fine. It's your turn now, Your Majesty. Go on in and take a seat. I'll be just a second. I need to speak with Mave."

Eli shoves his hands into his pockets and obeys her command. Dr. Reeve follows him with her eyes, and then puts one hand on her hip. "Can you close the door behind you?"

I hear Eli let out an exasperated sigh. Still, he obliges.

When the door is shut, Dr. Reeve sits down beside me. "From what you told me this morning, it seems like Eli's developing nightmares now, which is alarming to me because these should have subsided or not occurred at all with the medication. Have you seen him take the medicine?"